mintMenu 1.9 released!

Releases and other announcements
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.

mintMenu 1.9 released!

Postby clem on Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:56 am

Changes:

- Many of you liked the filtering option so it was put back in mintMenu. As you're typing, the list of applications gets filtered.

- The applications in the application plugin used to be shown in English. They are now localized and show in the user's language.

How to install:

Code: Select all
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

then remove the mintMenu applet and add it to the panel again.

Clem
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

mintMenu 1.9 released!

Postby npap on Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:27 am

Works fine, Clem

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Postby lcohen999 on Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:18 am

I have two suggestions for mintMenu (first time poster, long time lurker :) )

and amazing job btw.

#1. can we map just the windows key to mintMenu
#2. it would be great if when I type something in the search box, and hit enter it would choose what I select. The Enter key does not seem to be working for me.

Thanks!!!!!
lcohen999
Level 1
Level 1

Postby clem on Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:24 am

Not every keyboard has a "windows key" and when you press Enter it launches a search. Make sure you have beagle installed..
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby Alephcat on Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:33 am

lcohen999 wrote:I have two suggestions for mintMenu (first time poster, long time lurker :) )

and amazing job btw.

#1. can we map just the windows key to mintMenu
#2. it would be great if when I type something in the search box, and hit enter it would choose what I select. The Enter key does not seem to be working for me.

Thanks!!!!!

I have wondered about these for a while as well, might it be possible to have these as options (even if the user has to set them up themselves) but not enabled as default?
Alephcat
Level 3
Level 3

mintMenu autosize?

Postby rcdanek on Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:07 am

In my post about 1.8, I asked if it was possible to change the size of mintMeny. There is and the explanation was helpful. However, I think it would be more helpful is, when there are more items than can fit in an area, that either some indicator pop up (with a tooltip explaining how one goes about resizing the mintMenu), or some kind of scrolling be added. Otherwise, newbies (like me) will get confused.
rcdanek
Level 1
Level 1

bug report using beryl

Postby lebulbe on Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:26 am

the search utility is unusable when beryl is running. I also cant close the menu by clicking in the desktop I obligate to click on the bianca menu button to close it when beryl is running.

I dont know if it's possible for you to arrange compatibility with beryl

thx a lot :D
lebulbe
Level 1
Level 1

Postby |_NiGhTmArE_| on Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:35 am

There's a little bug (i think)

I have installed a windows app. in wine...
now in the wine section of mintMenu there isn't my app but openoffice writer O_o

how can i remove that entry?
|_NiGhTmArE_|
Level 1
Level 1

Postby lcohen999 on Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:46 pm

The enter key seems to be working for now.

As for the window key. I would have to assume that there are more of a majority of keyboards with the win key than without, either way, if it is something you could add that would be great.

Also, another suggestion when I go to mintMenu, then search, if I type firefox, or terminal, etc it would be great if the exe would run, rather than the search box.

Is that possible?
lcohen999
Level 1
Level 1

Postby clem on Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:59 pm

Right click, Preferences. Then go to plugins->Applications and change the value of "search_command" to SEARCH_STRING.

Then right click and choose "Reload Plugins".

That's it ! :)

Clem
PS: I'll look into the keyboard shortcut thing.
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby frank392 on Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:55 am

HI, I think I found two more bugs:

- when I start My system, the network manager connects to the wireless network, the notification appears on the upper left side of the screen.no all the time.

- I do not way but I have Install scribus two times 1.2 and 1.3 so i decided to get rid of the old version, so I whent to synaptic PM. and removed, so I went back to the menu and the icon is there nothing happens wen I click on it.
I have not rebut my machine yet maybe it will disappear after i do that.
btw the printer is not working with scribus( epson C62) and just in case the printer works fantastic with other applications, so I have to export my work from scribus to PDF, I do not have experience with Scribus first time user, I was looking for an alternative to The Print Shop.

ok I just reboot my system and the old scribus icon is gone and the notification for the networkmanager appeared were it was suppose to ,

jeje i feel like an idiot :oops:

ok not so idiot now the network manager notification appear on the upper left corner when I start (turned off and then turned back on) my system, but it appears in the correct position wen i restart it. any clue?
frank392
Level 4
Level 4

Postby clem on Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:05 pm

Hi it's a known bug :

http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... a_BETA_014
(bug number 8 ).

Clem
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Hi , a thing is missing

Postby karlox on Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:46 am

Linux Mint Bea version have a great function that doest work in Bianca ( or the new linux menu ) . The thing is that you can drag a program from the menu to the task bar and it created a shortcut of the program in there , it looks great those icons there.
Thats all folks...
Karlos
karlox
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Bunny on Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:44 am

Hi there, I just got mint up and running, and I love it so far, but I have noticed a few things with mintMenu:

1. It does not seem to like sub folders, it just comes up with a random program instead (|_NiGhTmArE_|'s problem).

2. Doesn't refresh itself when something is changed with the Menu Layout editor.

3. If something doesn't have a description, it takes it from the one above it. Not critical but annoying all the same...

Other than that I love mint :D
Bunny
Level 1
Level 1

Postby flashmann on Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:09 pm

I have these problems with mintMenu 1.9 and beryl enabled:

- search utility is unusable (can't type anything into it)
- the menu doesn't close automatically when I click on the desktop (I need to click on the main button)
flashmann
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Alephcat on Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:19 am

I have the same problems, also it does not always appear on top of the focused window.
"To absent friends, lost loves, old gods, and the season of mists; and may each and every one of us always give the devil his due."
Alephcat
Level 3
Level 3

Postby maximus659 on Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:03 pm

Just a small suggestion on the mintmenu. Could be possible to add the run application to the menu? maybe replacing the Desktop icon on the menu

Thanks
maximus659
Level 1
Level 1

Postby clem on Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:59 pm

You can change the action of the search to make it a run function... I'm afraid it would be too cluttered if there was both a search and a run textfield.
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby maximus659 on Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:44 pm

clem wrote:You can change the action of the search to make it a run function... I'm afraid it would be too cluttered if there was both a search and a run textfield.

Clem,

I think you have a point. The menu will look a little cluttered.

Thank you for your hard work
maximus659
Level 1
Level 1

mintMenu too small

Postby AlCantara on Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:48 pm

the mintMenu is often too small for the application-list so the user has to scroll. a very peeving work.
but there is lots of screenspace around. why isn´t the menu resizeable? if it uses the whole screenarea much more menu items could be found instantly.

by the way: in the old menu style you could browse all submenus by moving the mouse slowly down (up). the submenus popup and show everything.

now you always have to click, move pointer to scrollbar, scroll, move pointer back, position it over the next item, and click.
I really can´t see the advantage. can anybody tell me?
AlCantara
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Next

Return to Releases & Announcements