Gnome Shell Crashing

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rarecola

Gnome Shell Crashing

Post by rarecola »

Okay so I just did a fresh install of Lisa and everything has gone smoothly. Except, at random times while I'm doing everyday tasks, the panels and window borders glitch out and look weird. Everything still functions, but visually, it's unusable. I would attach a screenshot but it happens completely randomly and I haven't thought to capture it until now.
BTW: The reason everything's working right now is because I use

Code: Select all

killall gnome-shell
to restart the gui. It works, but is only a temp fix.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Gnome Shell Crashing

Post by karlchen »

Hello, rarecola.

You have done a fresh installation of Mint 12 Lisa. Have you applied all available updates for "Lisa" as well?
When Lisa was installed here at the end of last year, during the first few weeks I experienced a lot of gnome-shell crashes, too. (It would restart automatically here)
I cannot tell which (automatic) update fixed the problem. Yet, Gnome has not crashed here for the past few months now.
So in case you have not done so, check for available Mint 12 updates and install them all, including the kernel updates. Doing so is not totally unlikely to make the Gnome crashes disappear.

Code: Select all

gnome-shell --version
GNOME Shell 3.2.2.1

uname -a
Linux unimatrix0 3.0.0-19-generic #33-Ubuntu SMP Thu Apr 19 19:05:57 UTC 2012 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
Kind regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline

Return to “Software & Applications”