Mint 13 with Gnome 3

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
flanna
Level 3
Level 3

Mint 13 with Gnome 3

Post by flanna »

I really like Mint 12 with Gnome 3 and want to upgrade to Mint 13 soon. Can I install Mint 13 with pure Gnome 3?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Mint 13 with Gnome 3

Post by remoulder »

[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

I think flanna means Gnome Shell not Gnome 3. I will try to get a working Gnome Shell session going later and will report back - early reports suggest it's not super easy :D
dacjames

Post by dacjames »

I too prefer gnome-shell but I really like Linux Mint. I understand the dev's desire to provide a traditional desktop, but I hope they make running standard gnome-shell easy as well because I really don't want to switch back to Ubuntu over a silly issue like this.
flanna
Level 3
Level 3

Post by flanna »

Yes, I meant Gnome-shell.

It took some getting used to but now I really like it. My personal computer and laptop run Mint 12 with Gnome-shell.

I've been waiting for Mint 13 so that I can upgrade all our computers from Mint 11 to Mint 13 with Gnome-shell.

Rather than going backwards to a Gnome 2 type of desktop, I would probably change Distro to keep Gnome-shell.
mike4

Post by mike4 »

So to get the very same desktop as on ubuntu simply install gnome-shell?
I like the ubuntu gnome3 desktop but have nvidia update problems, hence I might swith to mint rc1.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

The Ubuntu desktop is Unity and that is a different download.

Ubuntu 12.04 desktop: Unity.
Mint 13 desktops: MATE and Cinnamon
Default Gnome desktop (e.g. Fedora 17): Gnome-Shell.

If you wish to use Unity I think it's a better idea to simply use Ubuntu 12.04 rather than trying to persuade Mint 13 to use Unity. Haven't gotten around to installing Gnome Shell in Mint 13 yet.
solar1951
Level 4
Level 4

Post by solar1951 »

There is an Ubuntu 12.04 remix with Gnome shell which may get you close to what you want.
http://www.webupd8.org/2012/04/ubuntu-g ... .html#more

Return to “Software & Applications”