LXDE 12 through 8 Nvidia problem

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
coopertronic

LXDE 12 through 8 Nvidia problem

Post by coopertronic »

Hello there.

I am getting the strangest problem after installing the recommended proprietary driver. When it boots up, either on the login screen or the desktop, all I get is a load of different coloured lines running verticality down the screen.

I discovered, purely by accident, that if I press ctrl+alt+F1 and then ctrl+alt+F7 I get the normal screen. I checked the card was rendering using terminal and it reported it was rendering, but the graphics don't seem to be working properly, flash player video is still has a low frame rate and I can't get games like open arena or wolfenstine ET to run at all. they just keep crashing to the desktop.

I've tried reinstalling the OS and even tried mint LXDE 11 and 8 but had the same result.

I'm really stuck here, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here is the lspci output:

Code: Select all

00:00.0 Host bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 730 Host (rev 02)
00:00.1 IDE interface: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 5513 [IDE] (rev d0)
00:01.0 ISA bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS85C503/5513 (LPC Bridge)
00:01.1 Ethernet controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS900 PCI Fast Ethernet (rev 82)
00:01.2 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.1 Controller (rev 07)
00:01.3 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.1 Controller (rev 07)
00:02.0 PCI bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] AGP Port (virtual PCI-to-PCI bridge)
00:09.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Live! EMU10k1 (rev 07)
00:09.1 Input device controller: Creative Labs SB Live! Game Port (rev 07)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV44A [GeForce 6200] (rev a1)
here is the rendering on glxinfo

direct rendering: Yes
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce 6200/AGP/3DNOW!
    GL_NVX_conditional_render, GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap, GL_SGIS_texture_lod, 
I have tried downloading the 96 driver from nvidia and it installed ok but the same thing happened on reboot. glxgears just gives a black screen but still counts the frames rendered in the terminal window.

I tried lubuntu and got just the CLI on reboot. glxinfo reported on that version that the sse was not avalible so the nvidia driver could not start. the PC is quite old so the CPU might not support it. I downloded mint 8 lxde and still I have the same problem.

Coincendently I did have the same message about sse when I tried to install the latest DX runtimes in windows, but I installed an earlier version of DX and it worked.

What could I use to get this running on linux mint, any version would do as long as the graphics works.

Please, please help me get this going.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
antikythera

Re: LXDE 12 through 8 Nvidia problem

Post by antikythera »

have you tried specifying the command

nomodeset
in the grub config? if not add it to the end of the entry for the kernel image you are trying to boot into.

also, I don't know if the same will work for you but I found flash frame rates in chromium are much better than firefox when I was trying to play pogo games in flash. Presumably the same would apply to video feeds being rendered as well. there seems to be an issue with flash plugin responsiveness in firefox at present.

Return to “Software & Applications”