Screen rez not permanent

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.

Screen rez not permanent

Post by Guest »

HI all,
Whenever I start Mint Fluxbox, I have to set the screen resolution every time. The program to set the resolution asks me what resolution I want, I set it to 1440x900 @ 75Mhz. The program next asks me if I want to keep this setting, I answer yes, but when I log back on it's back to 1440x900 @ 60 Mhz.

Q: Where does the program store the resolution setting?
Q: How can I conserve my setting without having to reset it every time?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Screen rez not permanent

Post by Husse »

I don't know Fluxbox much...
Which graphics card and how do you set the resolution?

Post by Guest »

Husse wrote:I don't know Fluxbox much...
Which graphics card and how do you set the resolution?
My graphics card is the Intel 845 G/GL. One of the resolutions that works really well with my monitor, an LG Flatron L192WS, is 1440x900 @ 75Hz refresh. Th problem is that when I log out, the display reverts to 1440x900 @ 60Hz, which displays on only part of the screen and looks horizontally squashed.

There are two ways I set the display:
#1 I open a terminal and use the command 'xrandr --rate 75', or I use
#2 I use MintConfig>Hardware>Screens and Graphics and set the display to 1440x900 @75Hz

When I use method #2, the program asks me if I want to keep this setting, I answer 'yes' but the setting is never saved. I have the same problem on the XFCE4 edition, so I was wondering where the setting is written and how I can make it permanent.
BAD

Post by BAD »

I read LCD's are only supposed to support 60mhz refresh rate. In other distro's they warn during the installation running a LCD at 75 mhz can damage them. Why do you want 75mhz? Did you change the monitor to Digital in put? Does your monitor work with other desktops like KDE or Gnome?
Fred

Post by Fred »

Guest,

The above is a very good point. Are you sure that your monitor will safely support that resolution and refresh rate?

I would hate to tell you how to do something that would damage your equipment.

Fred

EDIT: You have been warned. Open gedit with sudo and navigate to /etc/x11/xorg.config

Find the lines for your screen resolutions and refresh rates. Remove all the ones you don't want to use and put them on lines that begin with #

If you don't show a refresh rate after the screen resolution of choice, and it isn't anywhere else in the file, add a space and 75hz after the resolution you are keeping.

This should probably do it.

Post by Guest »

BAD wrote:I read LCD's are only supposed to support 60mhz refresh rate. In other distro's they warn during the installation running a LCD at 75 mhz can damage them. Why do you want 75mhz? Did you change the monitor to Digital in put? Does your monitor work with other desktops like KDE or Gnome?
According to the manufacturer, here are the specs:

Panel TFT LCD
Screen Size 19"
Widescreen Yes
Display Type WXGA+
Maximum Resolution 1440 x 900
Recommended Resolution 1440 x 900
Viewing Angle 160?H) / 160?V)
Brightness 300 cd/m2
Contrast Ratio 700:1
Response Time 5ms
Horizontal Refresh Rate 30 kHz - 83 kHz
Vertical Refresh Rate 56 Hz - 75 Hz

When the refresh rate is set at 60Hz, the image is narrower than the screen and looks squashed, but when the refresh rate is 75Hz, which is good according to specs, the image looks normal. The monitor doesn't have a digital input only analog. I appreciate your concern, by-the-way, but 75Hz is okay.

Post by Guest »

Fred wrote:Guest,

The above is a very good point. Are you sure that your monitor will safely support that resolution and refresh rate?

I would hate to tell you how to do something that would damage your equipment.

Fred

EDIT: You have been warned. Open gedit with sudo and navigate to /etc/x11/xorg.config

Find the lines for your screen resolutions and refresh rates. Remove all the ones you don't want to use and put them on lines that begin with #

If you don't show a refresh rate after the screen resolution of choice, and it isn't anywhere else in the file, add a space and 75hz after the resolution you are keeping.

This should probably do it.
Thanks for your concern, Fred, I appreciate it, but the refresh rate for this monitor is as follows:
Horizontal Refresh Rate 30 kHz - 83 kHz
Vertical Refresh Rate 56 Hz - 75 Hz

so there's no danger of damaging the monitor with this rate of refresh. Thanks for the tip on 'xorg.conf' I'll make sure to do that and let you know if it works out. Thanks to everyone who replied. :)
BAD

Post by BAD »

This reminds me of those 19" crt monitors. They were expensive when they first came out. Sony, NEC and Viewsonic made them well and they lasted although these cost over $250. However, Gem and KDE made some cheep ones around $180+ and they didn't last long.
I remember my friend bought a KDE and ran it at 1600x1200 to do web graphics and the components inside melted also we all know of the MANY MANY that lost color made for Gateway and Dell.
I have two 22" LCD's and they don't have any flicker problem.
All just my opinion though.

Return to “Software & Applications”