Gnome 3 Not Starting/Showing

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
martinrlilja

Gnome 3 Not Starting/Showing

Post by martinrlilja »

Hello!

I am new on this forum, but I know similar questions have been asked regularly, but I can't seem to fix my own problem. :/
Until recently I have been using Linux Mint without any kind of problem; yesterday when I logged out and then in again, because of some problems with a windows program. But when I logged on again, there where no start menu or anything. I tried to open the terminal but it had no borders. I googled around for a bit, and got to start metacity, with some more googling I added it to the startup process.

Before that I had tried to reinstall the Nvidia graphics drivers, then I tried to install an older version. Luckily I can still use my computer, either without the start menu or in no effects mode. This is kinda interesting cause it works wthout the slightest problem (except it has no more than two desktops). Mate works without problem too.

The programs I can see when I start gnome-session-properties are the following:
Caribou
GNOME Login Sound
Metacity (This one I added myself after the problems started to accour)
mintUpdate
mintUpload
mintWelcome
NVIDIA X Server Settings

I would be very happy if someone could point me in the right direction :) If it is needed I can also give more information.

Forgot to mention: I'm using Linux Mint 64-bit and running a GTX560 with an old, soon to be replaced, Core 2 Duo E4500
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
K7plus1

Re: Gnome 3 Not Starting/Showing

Post by K7plus1 »

i have had similar problems with gnome3. when i login into gnome 3, no menu would appear even if you right-click. i found out that downgrading my nvidia driver helped

Return to “Software & Applications”