Mint 13 LXDE. When?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
seppalta

Re: Mint 13 LXDE. When?

Post by seppalta »

Would the LXDE fans among us like me to post a tutorial on how to do this step by step?
For LMDE: http://lxlinux.com/debian.html .

For Xububtu 12.04: http://lxlinux.com/xubuntu.html .

LXDE on Mint 13 XFCE and regular Mint were slow and sluggish - lost interest in them very quickly. LXDE over Xubuntu 12.04 was better (faster and more stable) than Lubuntu, and is fully supported for 5 years. Also, Xubuntu comes with Firefox and Lubuntu with Chromium - a big plus for LXDE Xubuntu in my opinion. However, my pick is LMDE with a mostly LXDE desktop - see the guide linked above. It is very quick because it is free of the Ubuntu bloat that naturally occurs in a Ubuntu based system. LMDE is slow with updates, but not a big deal if your system is 100% reliable as set up.
Last edited by seppalta on Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fletcher

Post by fletcher »

I also am sad to hear about the demise of Mint LXDE. I prefer LXDE over all the other DEs, except perhaps Cinnamon (or MATE, I have trouble remembering which is which). I will try installing LXDE over XFCE on my next new install. Or I will switch to Cinnamon (or MATE) I guess.

Pity, though, I bave always liked LXDE, and Mint LXDE came with all the programs I like.
3fRI

Post by 3fRI »

fletcher wrote:I also am sad to hear about the demise of Mint LXDE. I prefer LXDE over all the other DEs, except perhaps Cinnamon (or MATE, I have trouble remembering which is which). I will try installing LXDE over XFCE on my next new install. Or I will switch to Cinnamon (or MATE) I guess.

Pity, though, I bave always liked LXDE, and Mint LXDE came with all the programs I like.
I'm running LXDE over Xfce and it's fast and responsive. I can also run Openbox, Openbox Gnome, and Openbox KDE. Freedom is heaven! :D
BucolicBuffalo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BucolicBuffalo »

It was pointed out that other distributions have more activity in their forums. And that may be the leading factor in why no more Linux Mint LXDE.

Did anyone ever think to consider that perhaps people having less problems with Linux Mint LXDE is a factor in less posting in the forums? No reason for me to post here unless I need something. Then I see this thread telling us no more LXDE. Linux Mint 12 LXDE has been the most trouble free distribution I have ever used. That's with nearly 15 years of Linux experience to my credit. I was just setting up another system, but I supppose the smart play now is to stick with a KDE distribution.
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

BucolicBuffalo wrote:It was pointed out that other distributions have more activity in their forums. And that may be the leading factor in why no more Linux Mint LXDE.

Did anyone ever think to consider that perhaps people having less problems with Linux Mint LXDE is a factor in less posting in the forums? No reason for me to post here unless I need something. Then I see this thread telling us no more LXDE. Linux Mint 12 LXDE has been the most trouble free distribution I have ever used. That's with nearly 15 years of Linux experience to my credit. I was just setting up another system, but I supppose the smart play now is to stick with a KDE distribution.
Unless I am missing something, I don't think that the activity was the reason (or at least the stated reason). In the desktop poll which clem created, lxde didn't do very well (behind Cinnamon, MATE, Xfce, KDE, and Gnome Shell with only 7% of the votes). Mint only has so much resources, and they were spread too thin (with, before LXDE and Fluxbox were cancelled, Mint 13 Cinnamon 32/64-bit, Mint 13 MATE 32/64-bit, Mint 13 Xfce 32/64-bit, Mint 13 KDE 32/64-bit, Mint 13 LXDE 32-bit, Mint 13 Fluxbox 32-bit, LMDE Cinnamon 32/64-bit, LMDE MATE 32/64-bit, LMDE Xfce 32/64-bit on the horizon). They had to stop some things, and, because they weren't as popular, they were Fluxbox (which hadn't had a release in ages) and LXDE. This allows them to make sure that the other releases are more timely and that they are released (remember Linux Mint 11 KDE?).
fletcher

Post by fletcher »

cwwgateway wrote:
BucolicBuffalo wrote:It was pointed out that other distributions have more activity in their forums. And that may be the leading factor in why no more Linux Mint LXDE.

Unless I am missing something, I don't think that the activity was the reason (or at least the stated reason). In the desktop poll which clem created, lxde didn't do very well (behind Cinnamon, MATE, Xfce, KDE, and Gnome Shell with only 7% of the votes). Mint only has so much resources, and they were spread too thin (with, before LXDE and Fluxbox were cancelled, Mint 13 Cinnamon 32/64-bit, Mint 13 MATE 32/64-bit, Mint 13 Xfce 32/64-bit, Mint 13 KDE 32/64-bit, Mint 13 LXDE 32-bit, Mint 13 Fluxbox 32-bit, LMDE Cinnamon 32/64-bit, LMDE MATE 32/64-bit, LMDE Xfce 32/64-bit on the horizon). They had to stop some things, and, because they weren't as popular, they were Fluxbox (which hadn't had a release in ages) and LXDE. This allows them to make sure that the other releases are more timely and that they are released (remember Linux Mint 11 KDE?).
We also need to keep in mind that the main person on the LXDE flavor, as far as I could tell anyway, was Kendall Weaver. And Kendall has his own distro now. I love the way Peppermint looks, too, it just is not the kind of distro I want. So I am going to find the best Mint flavor over which to install LXDE and do it that way from now on.

I also agree that LXDE seems very trouble-free. I hardly ever come into the forums anymore, since I rarely have issues and I do not know enough to help many people with problems.

I'm glad that Mint is around, and I will continue to use it, even if I have to tweak it some. Still by far the best distro out there.
BucolicBuffalo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BucolicBuffalo »

There was a poll? Again, not needing to come to the forums I didn't see the poll or vote. How many others are happily computing trouble free and not visiting the forums?

Ok, I understand all the reasons. But the poll was flawed because it only reaches those who visit the forum. Nothing is going to change, the decisions are made. Let's aknowledge that Linux Mint 12 LXDE was one of the great releases and still serviceable for a time. But I need to set up a new system and I have already downloaded Linux Mint 13 KDE and will give that a try.
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

BucolicBuffalo wrote:There was a poll?
Here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=100787

LXDE got 7% of all votes. Looks small but Cinnamon got 29%, MATE 17%, XFCE 13% and KDE only 11%.

Gnome Shell has 11%, more than LXDE and about the same as KDE.
dajare

Post by dajare »

BucolicBuffalo wrote:Let's aknowledge that Linux Mint 12 LXDE was one of the great releases and still serviceable for a time.
Hear, hear! Would have loved to have had a LTS version of it. Sigh!
BucolicBuffalo wrote:But I need to set up a new system and I have already downloaded Linux Mint 13 KDE and will give that a try.
Of the LM 13 releases, XFCE and Mate are the only ones that run on my machine. I'll be taking the plunge with XFCE. Not as "light" as I would have liked, but it will certainly do the job.
seppalta

Post by seppalta »

I'll say it again, and it is only my opinion, which is based upon using all of the contemporary (since about 10) Mint and Ubuntu LXDE distributions quite a lot, there is nothing over-all (speed and reliability) better than LXDE on Mint Debian. The recipe for setting up a LMDE LXDE system is given here: http://lxlinux.com/debian.html. The key to getting a clean machine is to run the Debian tool Upgrade-System after you have done the basic applications removal-install. Upgrade-system purges all packages that are not listed as another package's dependency, and, believe me, it really does the job. I think it only works on a Debian system. In addition, all Ubuntu based systems come with a lot of non-debian accessories that slow down performance. Even if Mint were to continue with a Mint LXDE, at this point I would not use it given what LMDE LXDE does.
Last edited by seppalta on Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mack_mcash

Post by mack_mcash »

seppalta wrote:I'll say it again, and it is only my opinion, which is based upon using all of the contemporary (since about 10) Mint and Ubuntu LXDE distributions quite a lot,there is nothing over-all (speed and reliability) better than LXDE on Mint Debian. The recipe for setting up a LMDE LXDE system is given here: http://douwil7.100webspace.net/linux/Debian.htm. The key to getting a clean machine is to run the Debian tool Upgrade-System after you have done the basic applications removal-install. Upgrade-system purges all packages that are not listed as another package's dependency, and, believe me, it really does the job. I think it only works on a Debian system. In addition, all Ubuntu based systems come with a lot of non-debian accessories that slow down performance. Even if Mint were to continue with a Mint LXDE, at this point I would not use it given what LMDE LXDE does.
I used this method, on both the 32 and 64 bit versions, with amazing success and satisfaction and do recommend this to anyone wanting a fast, stable LXDE OS.

mack
ausmuso

Post by ausmuso »

ElQuia wrote:Guys, I think it is a BIG MISTAKE bypassing LXDE. It is NOT a question of disk space, or whatever. It is having a LEAN, MEAN machine, EVEN if I had an 8core machine with TONS of RAM, WHY SHOULD I use a desktop that is a resource hog or a non proved one like cinnamon? or a regression like mate?

NO WAY, LXDE is cool.

Please? Mint 13 LXDE?
Sure, ElQuia, I don't like a desktop that is a resource hog either, so, like you, I use LXDE. BUT: is a separate Mint 13 LXDE version really urgent? On one machine I use Mint 13 Cinnamon with an LXDE desktop running on top of it. On my other machine I'm running Mint 13 KDE, also with an LXDE desktop on top. In both cases I've got Mint 13 (which I reckon is brilliant), in both cases I've got lean and mean LXDE (which I think is equally brilliant), I'm still trying to decide which version I like best.
jp734

Post by jp734 »

I have an old pc with Mint 12 LXDE on it and love how it performs. I don't think XFCE will be a fit for it. I guess I'm going to have to install lubuntu if wanted to upgrade. Really don't want to do it since I really like Mint.

XFCE maybe is more in demand compared to LXDE but there are still a substantial number of LXDE users. I hope it will be reconsidered in the NEAR future.

For now, I will keep Mint 12 LXDE for as long as it works for me.
dajare

Post by dajare »

jp734 wrote:I have an old pc with Mint 12 LXDE on it and love how it performs. I don't think XFCE will be a fit for it. I guess I'm going to have to install lubuntu if wanted to upgrade. Really don't want to do it since I really like Mint.

XFCE maybe is more in demand compared to LXDE but there are still a substantial number of LXDE users. I hope it will be reconsidered in the NEAR future.

For now, I will keep Mint 12 LXDE for as long as it works for me.
I was in the same situation as you describe, and equally reluctant to leave behind a very satisfying LM 12 LXDE setup. But I was sufficiently interested in an LTS release -- so long as it ran acceptably on my old hardware -- to try out LM 13 Xfce. Live USB sessions were OK, so installed it. I'm very, very happy that I did, as I posted in the Xfce forum. I've got PCManFM and some other LXDE apps running, but have been impressed with Xfce overall.

You might be pleasantly surprised, too!
ashfaq

Post by ashfaq »

Miami592 wrote:Garvan,

Someone here (Seppalta perhaps) has tried to install LXDE over the MATE version and had a few minor issues.

I have installed LXDE over the cinnamon version and it has been working fine. I even went as far as to uninstall cinnamon and it works without ill effects. It left some gnome things behind but that was fine for me. Personally I prefer nautilus to PCManFM in most cases.

Would the LXDE fans among us like me to post a tutorial on how to do this step by step?

M5
Dear, help me with the how to I want to try it out on Mint14 Nadia! (Cinnamon)
argon99

Post by argon99 »

cwwgateway wrote:
dajare wrote:
cwwgateway wrote:There won't be a Mint 13 LXDE. This was done to give more support to the Xfce version which is at least percieved to be more popular.
Such an irony -- the LXDE subforum is far more active here than the Xfce area. I wonder what the poll results really represented?
The poll results should be fairly accurate considering the number of votes and that it is nearly impossible to manipulate the numbers (at least from the outside). Also, I think it would be odd for the linux mint team to manipulate the poll seeing that they have previously shown no favoritism between xfce and lxde. If, hypothetically, Clem was evil and wanted to manipulate polls, don't you think he would do it so that his own desktop, Cinnamon, and his other desktop, MATE (I know he didn't make it, but he has been a big supporter of it) would win? Instead, during a lot of the poll, Xfce had more votes than MATE.

Edit: Also, there are more threads and posts in the xfce subsection than in the lxde subsection. Finally, in the Desktops and Window Managers section there is an xfce section with even more posts (their isn't and lxde section for some reason).
This is rather brain dead. If there is no LXDE edition do you expect a flood of posts? Come on man think a little bit.

Also XFCE had more votes then MATE. So they keep MATE and drop LXDE, Whats wrong with this picture????
argon99

Post by argon99 »

ashfaq wrote:
Miami592 wrote:Garvan,

Someone here (Seppalta perhaps) has tried to install LXDE over the MATE version and had a few minor issues.

I have installed LXDE over the cinnamon version and it has been working fine. I even went as far as to uninstall cinnamon and it works without ill effects. It left some gnome things behind but that was fine for me. Personally I prefer nautilus to PCManFM in most cases.

M5
Dear, help me with the how to I want to try it out on Mint14 Nadia! (Cinnamon)

Yes I would. Thank you very much.
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

Mint Lxde :

Download ubuntu mini or alternate CD
Make a command line installation
Change the sources.list to the Mint sources.
Install Lxde

That should give you the cleanest Mint Lxde :wink:

ubuntu mini iso https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Insta ... /MinimalCD

Return to “Software & Applications”