Enligtenment.

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Herpy

Enligtenment.

Post by Herpy »

I must say, e17 is one of the better Window managers I have ever used. Very eye candy like and I get no tearing. Anyone else use e17?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Enligtenment.

Post by MALsPa »

Yeah, I've got it in PCLinuxOS, where I log into it instead of KDE about half the time. Very nice.
Asimov

Post by Asimov »

I do. And i have created a great layout with it: A panel at the top for my favorite apps which hide himself. And a panel on the left side with the gadgets which hide himself.

Too bad, i can't find the way to lock the desktop. And every time, the cursor go a little bit over the top panel, the desktop is switched. Very annoying problem.
palo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by palo »

Many things are easily set/changed though a user interface -
Asimov wrote: And every time, the cursor go a little bit over the top panel, the desktop is switched. Very annoying problem.
Go to - Settings>Input>Edge Bindings select your edges and either delete each binding or change them to whatever you want (such as lock :twisted: ).
Asimov wrote:Too bad, i can't find the way to lock the desktop.
It works here - try to find a solution on the internet. If you can't resolve it you could start a topic and maybe someone can help. In your first post give information about your hardware, what you have tried already, what OS version, how e was installed, etc.

Pat
Asimov

Post by Asimov »

Thank! this site help a lot : http://www.bodhilinux.com/e17guide/e17guideEN/

That my desktop: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=110087

So far a can't find the solution to have transparency on my Conky. The "thing" on the top at the right.
Goz
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Goz »

Think of Windows 10 as Hotel California for computers.
veggen

Post by veggen »

I have Bodhi on my netbook and enjoy e17 on it. But the problem is that the native Enlightenment apps suck. Envision is horrible. ePhoto as well :( But, on the bright side, one can always use superior GTK or Qt apps.
Asimov

Post by Asimov »

palo wrote:Many things are easily set/changed though a user interface -
Asimov wrote: And every time, the cursor go a little bit over the top panel, the desktop is switched. Very annoying problem.
Go to - Settings>Input>Edge Bindings select your edges and either delete each binding or change them to whatever you want (such as lock :twisted: ).
Asimov wrote:Too bad, i can't find the way to lock the desktop.
It works here - try to find a solution on the internet. If you can't resolve it you could start a topic and maybe someone can help. In your first post give information about your hardware, what you have tried already, what OS version, how e was installed, etc.

Pat
Thank for the info, i have solve my problem with your hints.
Asimov

Post by Asimov »

veggen wrote:I have Bodhi on my netbook and enjoy e17 on it. But the problem is that the native Enlightenment apps suck. Envision is horrible. ePhoto as well :( But, on the bright side, one can always use superior GTK or Qt apps.
I'm using a combination of enlightenment and xfce app. And it work very well.
Hammer459
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Hammer459 »

I love E, have used it since 1994 First on HP-UX, then on Red Hat and now on Bodhi
It would be nice to have it as a selectable desktop in LM with Gnome apps
palo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by palo »

Hammer459 wrote:It would be nice to have it as a selectable desktop in LM with Gnome apps
Hi. It is easier than Pi. There are PPAs setup for Ubuntu based users - just select the PPA you want based on your desire for "up-to-dateness", then install on your Gnome, KDE, or Xfce install and select Enlightenment at login. There you go - running a great stable OS with Enlightenment. IMO a much better scene than running a distro-centric version of Enlightenment that is highly stylized and controlled.

Pat
Hammer459
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Hammer459 »

palo wrote:
Hammer459 wrote:It would be nice to have it as a selectable desktop in LM with Gnome apps
Hi. It is easier than Pi. There are PPAs setup for Ubuntu based users - just select the PPA you want based on your desire for "up-to-dateness", then install on your Gnome, KDE, or Xfce install and select Enlightenment at login. There you go - running a great stable OS with Enlightenment. IMO a much better scene than running a distro-centric version of Enlightenment that is highly stylized and controlled.

Pat
Problem being what PPA is the right one? I am not interested in spending night after night trying out various versions that are more or less flakey. I want a version that works, that I can easily install. And that I can recommend to friends etc. Remember that the time when 8 out of 10 Linux users were in it for the fun of hacking is no more 9 out of 10 today just want it to work.
I tried one PPA and after 10 minutes it froze up alltogether... I just want it to work for a productive desktop doing other stuff, not mucking about with E
palo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by palo »

Hammer459 wrote:Problem being what PPA is the right one?
That's a good question: I have been using yunnxx/e17testing (http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 19#p628423) on my main install and have had no problems. If the SVN will ever settle down I will purge and install from there then uncheck the repo. It is most often suggested to use that one but if you do don't expect stability.
Remember that the time when 8 out of 10 Linux users were in it for the fun of hacking is no more 9 out of 10 today just want it to work.
I am a confused product of a time warp - I want both. A little off topic, but there is an interesting interview with Carsten "Rasterman" Haitzler here:
http://www.h-online.com/open/features/S ... 39812.html
I just want it to work for a productive desktop doing other stuff, not mucking about with E
I hear you and I do everthing in my E but I just can't stop mucking with E...it'ssomuckable :mrgreen:

Pat
Hammer459
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Hammer459 »

palo wrote:
Hammer459 wrote:Problem being what PPA is the right one?
That's a good question: I have been using yunnxx/e17testing (http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 19#p628423) on my main install and have had no problems. If the SVN will ever settle down I will purge and install from there then uncheck the repo. It is most often suggested to use that one but if you do don't expect stability.
Remember that the time when 8 out of 10 Linux users were in it for the fun of hacking is no more 9 out of 10 today just want it to work.
I am a confused product of a time warp - I want both. A little off topic, but there is an interesting interview with Carsten "Rasterman" Haitzler here:
http://www.h-online.com/open/features/S ... 39812.html
I just want it to work for a productive desktop doing other stuff, not mucking about with E
I hear you and I do everthing in my E but I just can't stop mucking with E...it'ssomuckable :mrgreen:

Pat
It just so happened that I selected the very PPA suggested in the topic you linked to. It froze on me after 5 minutes.
I am a long time fan of E. I first used it on HP_UX in 1994 (or 95?) I love the configurability and the look. I like the dragging of windows across desktops. I like the menu on moseclick on desktop. Etc, etc. I do not have the time to muck around just to get it to work :-(
I want it to install, find my applications and then I am in business. But that is not the state of E as it appears :-( :-(
I guess I am stuck with mate for now....

Return to “Software & Applications”