[SOLVED] Autorun an ALT+F2 Command

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
fallofshadows

[SOLVED] Autorun an ALT+F2 Command

Post by fallofshadows »

Hey folks,

I've been using KDE's Plasma Desktop underneath of the Gnome 3 shell (the combination is perfect, IMO) but that requires me to hit alt+F2 and type "plasma-desktop" at startup. Obviously this isn't a big deal, but it'd be nice if the computer would just do it for my automatically on startup. Does anyone know how to do this? I googled, but found nothing useful.

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
wlake

Re: Autorun an ALT+F2 Command

Post by wlake »

fallofshadows wrote:Hey folks,

I've been using KDE's Plasma Desktop underneath of the Gnome 3 shell (the combination is perfect, IMO) but that requires me to hit alt+F2 and type "plasma-desktop" at startup. Obviously this isn't a big deal, but it'd be nice if the computer would just do it for my automatically on startup. Does anyone know how to do this? I googled, but found nothing useful.

Thanks!

If you want it to start everytime, you can open a terminal and type
gnome-session-properties.
Then click the Add button, give it a title and for the command use plasma-desktop. Logout and login.

Also here's a link from OMG ubuntu http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/05/how- ... ntu-unity/. They do it with scripts and it's for unity, but should work the same for gnome shell.
fallofshadows

Re: Autorun an ALT+F2 Command

Post by fallofshadows »

Thanks, that's exactly what I wanted!

Return to “Software & Applications”