The status of Mint Fluxbox CE

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Re: The status of Mint Fluxbox CE

Post by Husse »

Locrian wrote:heheh i thought something like that was it but i had amarok in my old flux....
But as ikey says Amarok and Fluxbox is kinda self contradictory :)
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

For a full featured music client, you may want to look at Songbird. It works fine with the defaults and brings in no additional dependencies.
Locrian
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Locrian »

well the main use of amarok for me is adding music to my ipod, i usualy just use mplayer or audacious
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

Locrian wrote:well the main use of amarok for me is adding music to my ipod, i usualy just use mplayer or audacious
Understandable. I've never owned an iPod so I'm terribly unfamiliar with what's necessary in that department.

Anyway, updates for mint-fluxbox-info and mint-fluxbox-default-settings are in the repo. mplayer is no longer a mint-fluxbox-default-settings dependency and I recommend removing it if you aren't going to be using it (gnome-mplayer and decibel-audio-player are still there for those who need it).
Locrian
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Locrian »

ok i installed songbird, and it has ipod features so im all set now.
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

@Locrian: About your shared folder thing, can you do me a favor? I need to get some feedback on the Dropbox package I put together, so would you mind putting it through the paces for me. Basically it's a cloud based shared folder that works similar to Ubuntu One, but is available for Linux, Mac, and Windows. Run the following in a terminal and it'll come up in you "Internet" submenu:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install mint-fluxbox-dropbox
Locrian
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Locrian »

k ill install it in flux sense i already have it in the my laptop on main

Edit: Installed it without a problem and it synced a picture instantly. As long as its small documents or pictures it works great or maybe a song or two. But the main reason i use my network for is because i store all my files on my desktop and i like to play videos on my laptop sense i can hook it up to my tv, so i tried adding some videos... first i added a whole folder and it told me it was too big, so i got rid of it and added 4 videos, it took about 4 or 5 minutes to sync. mind you i know that now i can access this 4 videos from anywhere i have a pc but, for what i do normal it really isn't practical sense i just play the files true the network and not really transfer them to my laptop.
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

@Locrian: I might finally get a chance to screw with the networking thing today. I'll let you know what I find.

EDIT: What exact steps are you taking? I'm having no issues at all networking with my XP box at work or the server here. I'll boot up something on a Mint 8 Main live USB here in just a minute and see if I have any trouble there. But again, what exact steps are you taking?

EDIT 2: I think I see what you mean. Setting up a folder in "Shared Folders" isn't the simplest thing in the world, and there's nothing in Thunar to make this easier. I'm working on it, hopefully it won't take too long.
Locrian
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Locrian »

k i look forward to it
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

@Locrian: Try this package from the helena-xfce repository. It's called thunar-shares-plugin. After installing, close all instances of Thunar, then open one back up again. Right click a folder, click "preferences" and you should see a tab called "Share".

http://packages.linuxmint.com/pool/main ... 2_i386.deb
Locrian
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Locrian »

you are awesome! this is what i used to have on flux! you should make it defaul it works great
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

Locrian wrote:you are awesome! this is what i used to have on flux! you should make it defaul it works great
Don't thank me, thank merlwiz79. I believe this was his doing.
Locrian
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Locrian »

oh i see! Well i still think you should steal it and claim it for flux!

Edit: it seems my problems aren't all over yet, all the folders i shared work great except for one..... A folder in my external harddrive, when i click it, it tells me cannot mount. It might have something to do with the permissions it has but i tried changing them and they wont........
xazax
Level 1
Level 1

Post by xazax »

I there any way to make screenshots? If no, a package for that ( for example xfce4-screenshooter) should be included, and should be assigned to print screen button.
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

xazax wrote:I there any way to make screenshots? If no, a package for that ( for example xfce4-screenshooter) should be included, and should be assigned to print screen button.
There is a screenshot feature in the Gimp. I thought about this but decided that having another screenshot program would be a redundancy. If someone wants it, they're more than welcome to download it.
xazax
Level 1
Level 1

Post by xazax »

Is there a way to assign keys to the gimp feature?
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

No, but again you're more than welcome to download xfce4-screenshooter. I think the package size is between 700 and 800 kb and the installed size is somewhere between 1.5 and 2 mb.
agwblack

Post by agwblack »

Just wanted to comment quickly on the dropbox installer since you asked for feedback: Worked fine for me, although the first time I ran it was from the command line, which didn't work. But launching from the menu was fine. All my stuff has been syncing nicely.

On another note, are there any recommendations for a battery monitor that sits on the panel? I think that this is quite a big omission, especially because a distro such as this is so useful for bringing old laptops back to life.

Thanks
Andy
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

agwblack wrote:Just wanted to comment quickly on the dropbox installer since you asked for feedback: Worked fine for me, although the first time I ran it was from the command line, which didn't work. But launching from the menu was fine. All my stuff has been syncing nicely.
To run it the first time from the command line, you need to run the "dropbox-init" script. This script downloads and installs all the necessary stuff to get dropbox working. If this script finds the "fakelib.c" file in your home directory, then it doesn't download anything and goes straight to executing the "dropbox" script (which doesn't do anything until "dropbox-init" has been run at least once).
agwblack wrote:On another note, are there any recommendations for a battery monitor that sits on the panel? I think that this is quite a big omission, especially because a distro such as this is so useful for bringing old laptops back to life.
This was one area where keeping it low on resources won out over keeping it user friendly. I would have to run several more processes to keep a constant battery monitor going, so instead I set it to where you can hit Alt+F3 and the battery information will come up in a dialog box in the center of your screen.
agwblack

Post by agwblack »

Thanks for your clear and helpful explanation. Unfortunately, the Alt+F3 trick does not seem to work for me. I have been playing around with the keybindings, and I'm pretty sure I didn't delete it, but there's no sign of any Mod1 F3 binding? Was this feature added after the initial release of the RC?

Thanks

Return to “Software & Applications”