Adding Fluxbox to session listing

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
alexjordan6

Adding Fluxbox to session listing

Post by alexjordan6 »

Hello,

I've recently built and installed Fluxbox from source, using the files from the project's git repository. My understanding of things is that I need to now configure Mint Display Manager such that it loads Fluxbox (instead of cinnamon) after the X server initializes. At first I figured this would be configured during the process of building and installing, but Fluxbox doesn't seem to listed in Sessions.

I tried a little poking around in /etc/mdm, but nothing seemed promising. What do you guys think I should try next? Perhaps someone could direct to documentation about mdm?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rokytnji

Re: Adding Fluxbox to session listing

Post by rokytnji »

Shoot, I installed Fluxbox from synaptic instead of compiling in

Code: Select all

$ inxi -S
System:    Host: biker Kernel: 3.5.0-17-generic x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: MATE 1.4.2  Distro: Linux Mint 14 Nadia
I poked around in /sbin, /usr/share, but everything mdm related that I found were exe files instead of bin files that can be edited manually.
I guess look in http://www.linuxmint.com/documentation.php
or
/etc/mdm/mdm.conf

for what to do
# If you hand edit a MDM configuration file, you can run the following
# command and the MDM daemon will immediately reflect the change. Any
# running MDM GUI programs will also be notified to update with the new
# configuration.
#
# mdmflexiserver --command="UPDATE_CONFIG <configuration key>"
# You can also run mdm-restart or mdm-safe-restart to cause MDM to restart and
# re-read the new configuration settings. You can also restart MDM by sending
# a HUP or USR1 signal to the daemon. HUP behaves like mdm-restart and causes
# any user session started by MDM to exit immediately while USR1 behaves like
# mdm-safe-restart and will wait until all users log out before restarting MDM.
#
# For full reference documentation see the gnome help browser under
# GNOME|System category. You can also find the docs in HTML form on
# http://www.gnome.org/projects/mdm/
Installing from package manager gave me a flux box entry in sessions at the login Window.
alexjordan6

Post by alexjordan6 »

Hey thanks for the reply!

I managed to peek at /etc/mdm/mdm.conf. First off, I believe the GNOME project link that's in that file is no good (someone should let me know if that's not the case). Today I'm going to modify that file and see how it breaks. I'll let you know if anything interesting happens!

By the way, it's good to know that installing via the package manager worked for you.
rokytnji

Post by rokytnji »

By the way, it's good to know that installing via the package manager worked for you
More details if you are interested at

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?p=737375#p737375
alexjordan6

Post by alexjordan6 »

I managed to add Fluxbox to the sessions list by adding fluxbox.desktop to /usr/share/xsessions.

Following the same format as cinnamon.desktop (which is found in the same directory), fluxbox.desktop looked like this:

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Fluxbox
Comment=This session logs you into Fluxbox
Exec=/home/consult/fluxbox/src/fluxbox
TryExec=
Icon=
Type=Application
As you can see, the executable is located /home/consult/fluxbox/src

I was able to log into Fluxbox, and everything LOOKED alright. However, when I right-click and try to launch any of the programs, I get automatically logged out. Looking at /home/consult/.xsession-error:

/etc/mdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup...
localuser:consult being added to access control list
Setting IM through im-switch for locale=en_US.
Start IM through /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/all_ALL linked to /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/default.
Failed to connect to the VirtualBox kernel service
GNOME_KEYRING_CONTROL=/run/user/consult/keyring-hMAtrk
SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/run/user/consult/keyring-hMAtrk/ssh
GPG_AGENT_INFO=/run/user/consult/keyring-hMAtrk/gpg:0:1
SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/run/user/consult/keyring-hMAtrk/ssh
access control disabled, clients can connect from any host

** (nemo:10028): WARNING **: Can not get _NET_WORKAREA

** (nemo:10028): WARNING **: Can not determine workarea, guessing at layout
      JS LOG: About to start Cinnamon
Window manager warning: Log level 16: Unable to register authentication agent: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.Error.Failed: An authentication agent already exists for the given subject
Window manager warning: Log level 16: Error registering polkit authentication agent: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.Error.Failed: An authentication agent already exists for the given subject (polkit-error-quark 0)
      JS LOG: Cinnamon started at Wed Aug 21 2013 13:10:09 GMT-0700 (PDT)
      JS LOG: network applet: Cannot find connection for active (or connection cannot be read)

(cinnamon:9995): St-CRITICAL **: _st_create_shadow_material: assertion `src_texture != COGL_INVALID_HANDLE' failed

(cinnamon:9995): St-CRITICAL **: _st_create_shadow_material: assertion `src_texture != COGL_INVALID_HANDLE' failed

failed to create drawable

/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/mintUpdate.py:1732: GtkWarning: IA__gdk_window_thaw_toplevel_updates_libgtk_only: assertion `private->update_and_descendants_freeze_count > 0' failed
  gtk.main()
      JS LOG: network applet: Found connection for active

[10172:10197:0821/131050:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(627)] Failed to get name owner. Got org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NameHasNoOwner: Could not get owner of name 'org.chromium.Mtpd': no such name
[10172:10197:0821/131050:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(627)] Failed to get name owner. Got org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NameHasNoOwner: Could not get owner of name 'org.chromium.Mtpd': no such name
[10172:10172:0821/131050:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(532)] Failed to call method: org.chromium.Mtpd.EnumerateStorages: object_path= /org/chromium/Mtpd: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.chromium.Mtpd was not provided by any .service files
Window manager warning: Buggy client sent a _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW message with a timestamp of 0 for 0x26000ad (Linux Mint)
Window manager warning: meta_window_activate called by a pager with a 0 timestamp; the pager needs to be fixed.

(cinnamon:9995): St-WARNING **: Did not find color property '-gradient-start'

(cinnamon:9995): St-WARNING **: Did not find color property '-gradient-end'

JS LOG: Removing an access point that was never added

(gnome-settings-daemon:9967): libappindicator-CRITICAL **: app_indicator_set_label: assertion `IS_APP_INDICATOR (self)' failed

(gnome-settings-daemon:9967): libappindicator-CRITICAL **: app_indicator_set_label: assertion `IS_APP_INDICATOR (self)' failed

(cinnamon:9995): St-WARNING **: Did not find color property '-gradient-start'

(cinnamon:9995): St-WARNING **: Did not find color property '-gradient-end'
Window manager warning: Buggy client sent a _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW message with a timestamp of 0 for 0x1400003 (Authentica)
Window manager warning: meta_window_activate called by a pager with a 0 timestamp; the pager needs to be fixed.

(synaptic:11151): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_set_data: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

(synaptic:11151): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid (NULL) pointer instance

(synaptic:11151): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_connect_data: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed

I have a feeling that I didn't build the git project correctly... For example, the executable was located in the /src directory. I think that means I AT LEAST never performed

make install
during the build process.

I'm just going to get Fluxbox from the Software Center. Then, I'll take a look at /usr/share/xsessions and see if anything can be gleaned. If I feel motivated then I'll try rebuilding

Return to “Software & Applications”