Gnome aGnomalies [Solved - mostly!]

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
PussyCat

Gnome aGnomalies [Solved - mostly!]

Post by PussyCat »

Running Mint Maya Xfce on my machines.

On one machine, I added Cinnamon as an alternative WM which, as a bonus also added Gnome ("vanillas") and Ubuntu which I believe is known as Unity WM?

On another machine I simply added Gnome meta package.

However, in both cases, apps do not show their menu bar nor do they have any control buttons other than close once maximised?

It would seem to me that these features are vital - oops, just discovered that solution lies in moving pointer to the tray and also note that when maximised librecalc has its menu bar in its proper place but no title bar! This behaviour obviously needs investigation and practice.

Nevertheless, another oddity. When I visit the Gnome Extensions site (looking for solutions to modify behaviour) the second machine is recognised as running Gnome but the first is not! Why and can the lack of recognition be ignored?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
PussyCat

Re: Gnome aGnomalies

Post by PussyCat »

Further research suggests that Unity (assuming that Ubuntu as WM implies Unity) and Gnome 3 (Gnome Shell) are not the same despite, in Mint anyway, they look and feel identical.

This would explain why Gnome 3 is accepted by Gnome Extensions site while Unity is rejected - but is there any way to determine which WMs is running (and both seem to work with Compiz)?

It is also a little odd that MyUnity does not work with Unity, generating the error

Code: Select all

Ubuntu SE=13
Sorry, Ubuntu release not supported.
If it is not compatible then why is it available in Synaptic - probably because Mint uses the Ubuntu repos?

[Whilst not convinced by Gnome/Unity/Rosa etc for desktop (ie non-touchscreen) use, want to give it a chance!]
PussyCat

Re: Gnome aGnomalies

Post by PussyCat »

OK - so I see the the differences now.

On the machine that Gnome shell was added to, Gnome 3 is selected by "Gnome shell" (Yes I know - but launches vanilla Gnome on other machine!) and not "Ubuntu!" which launches Unity on both machines!

At least now I can compare the pros and cons of each.

MyUnity still wont launch but research points to an altternative in Ubuntu Unity Plugin that was added to CCSM.

Return to “Software & Applications”