Window managers don't work properly

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
guikenzo.s

Window managers don't work properly

Post by guikenzo.s »

Hello,

I don't know if this is the right section to be posting this (if not, I ask the moderators to redirect it to the correct section), but I have a problem that I believe to be somewhat related to window managers. Since its a rather unusual problem (I think, at least), I couldn't find similar problems on the web - probably because I could not search it properly. I'm presenting you my current situation. I hope we can find a diagnostic together =).

My window managers (and DE) don't seem to work properly - X and display managers work.
When I log in, no matter WM or DE I choose, it doesn't go further then opening a few programs. There is something funny, its different for every DE - in icewm conky runs (its in the startup script), but nothing else does (including taskbar, menus and shortcuts). in openbox tint2 runs, along with dropbox and possibly others (also in the startup script), and I can use the right-click menu (terminals don't). KDE starts, but nothing runs. In Cinnamon i can see the wallpaper, but nothing works. If i go to a CLI session (ctrl+alt+f1), i can anything except x programs(duh). Whats weird is that when I run htop, I can see sometimes that my processors are being used at about 40%, but there is nothing taking that much processing power in the processes.

I have a 32-bit linux mint 15 (originally KDE, but I installed many others WM over time). When the problem occurred I was using google hangout, using icewm, and suddenly the WM went down, along with most things. I couldn't open anything, so I rebooted - after that I wasn't able to enter any WM or DE.

What I tried so far:
- Rebooting computer (duh)
- purging a bunch of stuff out of the system (i thought it could be lack of space on the drive, turns out it isn't)
- reinstalling and trying other display managers
- Trying to find anything on top (nothing that I could tell besides CPU usage without any process taking much process power)
- praying (doesn't seem to help)

sys inf
CPU~Dual core Intel Core i7-3517U CPU Kernel~3.11.0-12-generic x86_64 Up~1:30 Mem3657.1MB HDD~543.6GB(52.1% used)

I would have formated the hd and installed mint again, but I don't have a backup storage unit. =(. Anyone with ideas?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vrkalak

Re: Window managers don't work properly

Post by vrkalak »

guikenzo.s

Post by guikenzo.s »

Thanks for the tips!
I tried the debian wiki, but nothing particularly useful there. xwinman could be useful, but the problem is I can't figure out what my problem is, so it's a bit hard to find a solution =(.
guikenzo.s

Post by guikenzo.s »

Just found out that it is not a WM problem. I was able to login as guest and when I created another user, I was able to login with it with no problems. So, I guess there is something wrong with my user session.
guikenzo.s

Post by guikenzo.s »

I think I found the source of the problem. logged in openbox, and was able to call xterm using gmrun. Ran some programs and realized that all gtk gave me a "Segmentation fault (core dumped)", which are usually caused by addressing non-existent/allocated memory (according to google). I was able to run qt applications, such as konkeror, kplayer and dolphin.

Update: It seems that, after running the qt aplications, I was able to run all gtk applications again. DEs were fuly functional, and I have no idea why - the problem fixed itself.
Should i put a [solved] tag in the title of this post?

Return to “Software & Applications”