Cinnamon/MATE Dual Boot

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jdrichardson

Cinnamon/MATE Dual Boot

Post by jdrichardson »

Is it possible to boot up such that one can select either the cinnamon or MATE desktop? I've just installed MATE, and then I installed Cinnamon via Synaptic. When I booted up to the login window MATE was the default selection. I then selected Cinnamon and then tried to login. I received an error message and could not proceed. Is there something else I need to install besides the Cinnamon package (and all that it brings)?

I've tried this with Linux Mint 16 and got the same results. With Linux Mint 15 one could login to MATE, Cinnamon, or Unity. I liked that a lot since I grow tired of one desktop after awhile and like the ability to select another.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
malias

Re: Cinnamon/MATE Dual Boot

Post by malias »

You should not run into any problems running both Cinnamon and MATE; I have this setup and it works without any problem.
jdrichardson wrote:I've just installed MATE, and then I installed Cinnamon via Synaptic. When I booted up to the login window MATE was the default selection. I then selected Cinnamon and then tried to login. I received an error message and could not proceed.
What's the error that you receive?
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

The easiest way to get all the needed Cinnamon-related packages is to install mint-meta-debian-cinnamon.
jdrichardson

Post by jdrichardson »

Thanks, I'll try to install the mint-meta-debian-cinnamon packages.
jdrichardson

Post by jdrichardson »

I installed the package you suggested and things work fine. Thanks for your help!

Return to “Software & Applications”