mintConfig crashes?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Baphijmm

mintConfig crashes?

Post by Baphijmm »

I am unsure what happened, but I just upgraded to LinuxMint 6 Fluxbox CE this evening and, while the first few times it loaded just fine, mintConfig now appears to crash upon starting. This happened after attempting to do something about my incredibly low screen resolution. It doesn't completely crash, as attempting to open it again shows that it is still running, at least according to its lock. Any clues as to how to fix this? Help with screen resolution would also be appreciated.

EDIT: I figured out what the problem was; for some reason, mintconfig-fluxbox and nvidia-settings were not getting along well together. Uninstalled the latter, the former began working again.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Re: mintConfig crashes?

Post by shane »

I did test this release on a machine with an Nvidia card and I didn't have this problem with mintConfig and nvidia-settings. Strange... Also, i didnt get the low resolution problem. It automatically detected the Dell monitor and used the highest resolution which I then changed to a lower resolution.

To fix your resolution, use System Tools > Display Settings... But this only sets the resolution for your user. The system wide setting has to be set using nvidia-settings or editing the xorg.conf file
Baphijmm

Re: mintConfig crashes?

Post by Baphijmm »

shane wrote:To fix your resolution, use System Tools > Display Settings... But this only sets the resolution for your user.
Well, but that's the thing - Display Settings and xrandr have two different sets of available resolutions. I'm finally using the resolution I wanted with xrandr, but it's kind of a hassle to use that every time I boot.

As for the nvidia-settings thing, I don't particularly trust that; I've never used it before, and it gave a pretty lousy first impression. :/

Return to “Software & Applications”