Midori Web Browser

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Kendall

Midori Web Browser

Post by Kendall »

Just curious as to whether anyone here has messed with Midori to any significant extent? I built version 0.2.2 from source last night to do some experimenting with (0.1.9 was the latest available in the Ubuntu repo) and I'm rather blown away with how fast it is, how light it is, and how good the Flash support is. I may put this in the Fluxbox CE repo eventually just to offer a lightweight alternative to Firefox for those who want it, but I got this crazy idea of maybe dropping Firefox altogether in a future release. The install footprint and flat out speed of this browser has really got some wheels turning in my head and I'm thinking this might be a good way to go.

Currently I have my Midori browser set up so that all embedded media (except Flash) opens in Gnome-MPlayer instead of in the browser. This way I'm getting multimedia support that's probably 95% as good as Firefox 3.5.6 with the gecko-mediaplayer and flashplugin-nonfree plugins installed. The browser supports userscripts and if some benevolent, javascript-knowing individual would care to mess with putting together something to offer better embedded media support then I think we might be onto something big here.

Any thoughts on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vrkalak

Re: Midori Web Browser

Post by vrkalak »

On my Debian Squeeze 'testing' Xfce install ... I primarily use Midori as my only web browser.

Agreed, it is very fast. Goes very well with the quickness of the Xfce desktop.

The only problem I was having, is that the browser window would randomly just shut-down.
I sent it a 'bug report' and the Midori Devs agreed, that it was a bug, that they were aware of and were working on.

Otherwise, a very fast and simple browser. It doesn't have the add-ons and extensions that Firefox or Opera have, but still a very good App.

I would give it an 8 on a scale of 1-10. In some of the other distros that use the Xfce desktop, they have Midori as the default browser.
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

I had a good bit of the random crashing issue with 0.1.9, but I've had none of it with 0.2.1 and 0.2.2 (either that or I just haven't pressed the right buttons yet). The stability seems to be there, but we"ll see. I'll try and get this in the repo very soon.
Locrian
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Locrian »

well i like the idea of a fast browser and the multimedia capabilities sound good, however the main reason i use firefox is for several extensions one being xmarks another being downthemall and other url and website related stuff i use on an almost day to day basis, but at the same time some of this extensions slow firefox down significantly and when i open it the bar on one of my cores goes to 100% so yeah... But i don't think i could live without all this stuff that lets me be lazy hahahaha
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

Midori 0.1.9 in Ubuntu 9.10 always crashed with me when trying to go to the home page, and 50% with Speed Dial. Midori 0.2.1 in Mandriva 2010 did not crash at all. So, yeah, I can confirm that much.

I would seriously consider Midori for the default browser in the Fluxbox edition. Not that Firefox is bad, but in keeping with the lightweight and fast aspect of Fluxbox, Midori is a much better fit. The only drawback I can see is the stability issue, but the newer versions do seem to have made great strides in that regard.
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

rivenought wrote:Not that Firefox is bad, but in keeping with the lightweight and fast aspect of Fluxbox, Midori is a much better fit.
Exactly what I was thinking. I'm going to try to get in touch with the Midori developer over the next day or so as I have some questions about configuration. At the very least I want to get it where it'll pass Mint quality control. Having it as an option is most certainly a good thing.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

Ok light weight is nice but it also has to be easy for new users.
Firefox has a version for windows and is much easier than Midori.
They may have used Firefox on windows and it would be something they already know.
This will make it more easier for them to feel comfortable when trying Linux Mint for the 1st time.
Most other distros also use Firefox and if they have tested others before Linux Mint at least they will have some knowledge of it.
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

I'm usually quick to abandon "user friendly" in favor of "resource friendly", but here I'm trying to get the benefit of both. I know Midori isn't ready yet but I'm thinking it's a good idea to try and get it there, if for no other reason than to offer a well done alternative to Firefox. I'm thinking that Midori is maybe a few extensions, a userscript or two, and some default configuration away from being well rounded enough to pull this off effectively. We never know until we try.
markcynt

Post by markcynt »

merlwiz79 wrote:Ok light weight is nice but it also has to be easy for new users.
Firefox has a version for windows and is much easier than Midori.
They may have used Firefox on windows and it would be something they already know.
This will make it more easier for them to feel comfortable when trying Linux Mint for the 1st time.
Most other distros also use Firefox and if they have tested others before Linux Mint at least they will have some knowledge of it.
I agree with this 100%.

Why can't both browsers be in a default install?

Stick an icon for each in the panel/taskbar.
Locrian
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Locrian »

mmm it might be a good idea to have them side by side and have it as the default so when you click on a link that opens the browser (say on amsn) you wont get the slow load time of firefox.
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

Regarding this project, I'm trying to get it to where the Google search plugin works with Midori so that this passes Mint QC standards. It's currently in the helena-fluxbox repository under the Romeo section for anyone who wants it. It still needs some work, but is coming along nicely. I don't think there will be any significant breakthroughs until Midori gets further along in and of itself, but there is definitely some good progress.

On that note, the package dependencies for this are met in Mint 8 Main edition at present. When the Fluxbox CE hits, it will be lacking a good many of those dependencies (mostly webkit related). Basically the install footprint will be higher than initially expected, but the browser is still wicked fast. I've been using Midori almost exclusively for almost two weeks and have very few complaints. The only thing I've had to rely upon another browser for is Google Docs.

For anyone who cares to, please test this and get some feedback either to me, or to the developer at http://www.twotoasts.de
Yturtle

Post by Yturtle »

I would love to test this. Firefox is nice but very slow on my netbook. How do I find the 2.2 version. All I see in Synaptic is 1.9 and it is buggy.
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

Yturtle wrote:I would love to test this. Firefox is nice but very slow on my netbook. How do I find the 2.2 version. All I see in Synaptic is 1.9 and it is buggy.
You either need to download it straight from the repository at http://packages.linuxmint.com/pool/rome ... t2_all.deb or add the helena-fluxbox romeo repository to your apt sources list.

If you just download and try to install it, there will be dependency issues in Mint 8 Fluxbox. My suggestion is to open a terminal, type "apt sources" and add the word "romeo" to the end of the line that has "helena-fluxbox" in it, save and exit, then type "apt update", then type "apt install midori".
Yturtle

Post by Yturtle »

Thanks, Kendall, that worked fine. No problems and I'm using Midori to type this now. It's wicked fast.

By the way, I'm new to Fluxbox. I've been using LXDE but I really like this distro. I think I've found a home. Thanks for all your hard work. So far everything works great on my netbook.
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

You can always add the repositories for Midori to your /sources.list

Then, you will always have the latest and most updated version of Midori. :mrgreen:

Midori ppa >> https://launchpad.net/~midori/+archive/ppa
agwblack

Post by agwblack »

You can always add the repositories for Midori to your /sources.list

Then, you will always have the latest and most updated version of Midori.
I tried this, and got confronted with dependancy issues related to libwebkit versions. However, there were no such issues when installing via the helena-fluxbox romeo repository.

Midori feels very fast and light, wish I'd discovered it before! I think there is a strong case for its use as a default browser in the next Mint fluxbox CE (if its considered stable enough, of course! I've had no issues so far, however).
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

The reason I packaged it was so that nobody would have to go chasing down dependencies. I'll update it here in another couple of days using the most current build.

merlwiz79 made some excellent points, especially noting that Midori could be a bit difficult of a transition for people coming off of Internet Explorer. Basically what "needs" to happen before I'm going to think about packaging it for the distro is it needs to be able to handle the Mint Google search plugin, and it needs better support for Java intensive applications and things like Google Docs. I'm hoping that anyone who does any serious testing with this gives feedback to the Midori devs.
Zorklat DeOrc

Post by Zorklat DeOrc »

I stick with Firefox because it has a pair of extensions that I consider vital to my privacy:

Flashblock (does what it says, no flash objects load unless you click on where they're embedded in the page)

BetterPrivacy (removes stuff stored in ~/.macromedia , which otherwise is kept forever and includes super cookies).

If somebody codes those for Midori, I'd jump all over it. I used it as a back up browser a year or two ago, and was generally pleased.
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

Midori 0.2.3 just became available. Expect an update to hit the repo sometime later today.

EDIT: Version 0.2.3-1mint1 is in the helena-fluxbox romeo repo.
Yturtle

Post by Yturtle »

Thanks. I just received the update and it greatly improves the functionality of this browser with Google. I've been using Midori full time for a couple of weeks and really like it. It's got potential.

Return to “Software & Applications”