Fluxbox 9 to "Fluxbox 10"?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lKingjr

Fluxbox 9 to "Fluxbox 10"?

Post by lKingjr »

morning, I'm running various flavors of Mint in VirtualBox including Mint 10 rc. my question is, can I upgrade Fluxbox 9 to Fluxbox 10 rc (so to speak)?

thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lKingjr

Re: Fluxbox 9 to "Fluxbox 10 rc"?

Post by lKingjr »

okay, now that the release of Linux Mint 10 is out. can I upgrade Fluxbox 9 to a Fluxbox 10??
richyrich

Re: Fluxbox 9 to "Fluxbox 10"?

Post by richyrich »

No, you will have to wait for Mint Fluxbox 10 to be released.
lKingjr

Post by lKingjr »

richyrich wrote:No, you will have to wait for Mint Fluxbox 10 to be released.
ok thanks
daquirm

Post by daquirm »

Strange I haven't evene noticed that Mint Fluxbox 10 RC is out, where is it possible to get it?
viking777

Post by viking777 »

lKingjr wrote:
ok thanks
You don't have to wait at all. I am running Fluxbox on Mint 10 and it works very well (better than gnome in fact). All you have to do is install the packages 'fluxbox' and 'fluxconf' to Mint 10 then copy the files '.fluxbox' and '.mint-fm2' from Mint9 to you home folder on Mint 10 (note they are 'dot' files ie hidden unless you press Ctl/h in Nautilus) then log out and change the DE to Fluxbox. It all works perfectly for me.

Of course it won't be exactly the same as Mint10 Fluxbox CE, but then you won't have to wait for all that Flux goodness either and you will also have access to all the gnome tools as well as the flux ones (they won't all work, but a lot of them will). As an example if you type 'mintmenu' into a run dialog you will get the entire mintmenu on your desktop which you wont get on the Fluxbox CE alone, that gives you a lot more flexibility although heavier overheads if you have a very low powered system.
lKingjr

Post by lKingjr »

viking777 wrote:
lKingjr wrote:
ok thanks
You don't have to wait at all. I am running Fluxbox on Mint 10 and it works very well (better than gnome in fact). All you have to do is install the packages 'fluxbox' and 'fluxconf' to Mint 10 then copy the files '.fluxbox' and '.mint-fm2' from Mint9 to you home folder on Mint 10 (note they are 'dot' files ie hidden unless you press Ctl/h in Nautilus) then log out and change the DE to Fluxbox. It all works perfectly for me.

Of course it won't be exactly the same as Mint10 Fluxbox CE, but then you won't have to wait for all that Flux goodness either and you will also have access to all the gnome tools as well as the flux ones (they won't all work, but a lot of them will). As an example if you type 'mintmenu' into a run dialog you will get the entire mintmenu on your desktop which you wont get on the Fluxbox CE alone, that gives you a lot more flexibility although heavier overheads if you have a very low powered system.
thanks, sorry to take so long to get back. I installed a fresh LM10 then added XFCE and Fluxbox. they all work but when you do something like this, isn't some of gnome, fluxbox, xfce running underneath the others? doesn't that take away from some of the advantages of each?

thanks
viking777

Post by viking777 »

thanks, sorry to take so long to get back. I installed a fresh LM10 then added XFCE and Fluxbox. they all work but when you do something like this, isn't some of gnome, fluxbox, xfce running underneath the others? doesn't that take away from some of the advantages of each?

thanks
If you have to ask "are there any disadvantages" then my interpretation of that is you can't actually see any (neither can I) in which case you stick with what you have got.

If you do see any disadvantages then use your present system until fluxbox CE comes out and then run that instead.

The only disadvantages that I can think of are those I mentioned in my first post ie. If you have a low powered system you will probably be using more resources. On my machine it would be impossible to notice any difference.
lKingjr

Post by lKingjr »

viking777 wrote:

thanks
If you have to ask "are there any disadvantages" then my interpretation of that is you can't actually see any (neither can I) in which case you stick with what you have got.

If you do see any disadvantages then use your present system until fluxbox CE comes out and then run that instead.

The only disadvantages that I can think of are those I mentioned in my first post ie. If you have a low powered system you will probably be using more resources. On my machine it would be impossible to notice any difference.
thanks. I just wonder about people who say they prefer something like Fluxbox then load it up with everything and the "kitchen sink". I actually run any Linux as guests in VirtualBox but even then isn't much of a difference resource-wise for me. I have enough "omph" to run whatever I choose. :D

Return to “Software & Applications”