Isadora 9 Missing Package "mint-meta-fluxbox"

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
snmcdonald

Isadora 9 Missing Package "mint-meta-fluxbox"

Post by snmcdonald »

Hi Guys,

I am new to the forums, I ave just reviewed the rules and I am excited to join Linux Mint community.

I have been playing around with Linux Mint the past few days from the KDE, XFCE and Fluxbox distributions.

I have noticed thats there is not "mint-meta-fluxbox" package for Linux Mint 9 Isadora. Every other distribution has a "mint-meta-xx" package. I was running XFCE and I tried to add fluxbox to the distribution. I downloaded the "fluxbox" package but it is not the same as the Linux 9 Isadora Live CD install. I was disappointed as it is missing all the nice features that Linux Mint provides.

I found a forum that recommends using Linux Mint 6 Felicia to get the package "mint-meta-fluxbox". I add the repositories for both Felicia and Isadora, although only Felicia has the necessary "mint-meta-fluxbox".

My work around was to install Fluxbox first and then add the "mint-meta-xfce".

Is this package missing deliberately? I just thought I would bring it up to the maintainers to allow other desktop environments to easily add fluxbox.

Thanks again. Linux Mint Fluxbox is amazing.

Cheers,
Shane
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cpatrick08

Re: Isadora 9 Missing Package "mint-meta-fluxbox"

Post by cpatrick08 »

snmcdonald wrote:Hi Guys,

I am new to the forums, I ave just reviewed the rules and I am excited to join Linux Mint community.

I have been playing around with Linux Mint the past few days from the KDE, XFCE and Fluxbox distributions.

I have noticed thats there is not "mint-meta-fluxbox" package for Linux Mint 9 Isadora. Every other distribution has a "mint-meta-xx" package. I was running XFCE and I tried to add fluxbox to the distribution. I downloaded the "fluxbox" package but it is not the same as the Linux 9 Isadora Live CD install. I was disappointed as it is missing all the nice features that Linux Mint provides.

I found a forum that recommends using Linux Mint 6 Felicia to get the package "mint-meta-fluxbox". I add the repositories for both Felicia and Isadora, although only Felicia has the necessary "mint-meta-fluxbox".

My work around was to install Fluxbox first and then add the "mint-meta-xfce".

Is this package missing deliberately? I just thought I would bring it up to the maintainers to allow other desktop environments to easily add fluxbox.

Thanks again. Linux Mint Fluxbox is amazing.

Cheers,
Shane
here is the link to all of the packages currently in mint 9 fluxbox http://packages.linuxmint.com/list.php? ... ra-Fluxbox
snmcdonald

Post by snmcdonald »

Thank you, I have already added the necessary repository but there is no "mint-meta-fluxbox" package. There is a "mint-meta-kde", "mint-meta-gnome", "mint-meta-xfce", etc. I was having trouble adding the mint fluxbox set up without the meta package.
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

The reason that there is not a "Mint-Meta-" package for Fluxbox -- is that "Meta-packages" are for Desktop Environments.
Openbox and Fluxbox are not Desktop Environments but are Window Managers.

There is actually an official release of Mint-9 Fluxbox Edition.

I am using Mint-9 Fluxbox, now.
The Mint Devs have done a great job of adding and configuring Fluxbox.
I have learned a great deal about the Flubox window manager ... easier, faster and more configueable than Openbox, IMO.

I would go with the 'official' release of Mint-9 Fluxbox ... unless, you want the experience of installing Flubox yourself.

Kendall, the Mint Dev in-charge of Fluxbox here, has said that the next version of Mint-Fluxbox will be Debian-based.
I am looking forward to LinuxMint-Debian-Fluxbox Edition.
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

Honestly I've never built metapackages for any release I've done. Maybe I'll get on that at some point in the near future.
snmcdonald

Post by snmcdonald »

@vrkalak

Thanks for the great reply. I too would enjoy a Debian based Fluxbox edition.

Just one point though, Mint 6 has a meta package. I was following this Post http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=142&t=22864.
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

snmcdonald wrote:@vrkalak
Thanks for the great reply. I too would enjoy a Debian based Fluxbox edition.

Just one point though, Mint 6 has a meta package.
I don't know ... maybe, Mint-6 was released before Kendall started working on the Mint-Fluxbox versions?

Kendall, said he never made a Mint-Meta-Fluxbox package . . . strange?

Anyway, I have found Fluxbox to be easier to use and configure than Openbox.
I have been having a great time learning everything I can about Fluxbox.

Fluxbox is very well documented and supported > http://fluxbox.org
With an awesome fluxbox-wiki site > http://fluxbox-wiki.org/index.php?title=Fluxbox-wiki
Most all of the 'big' OS-distro Forums have a Fluxbox section.
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

I didn't start maintaining the Fluxbox edition until version 8 so anything for versions 5 or 6 was before my time.

Return to “Software & Applications”