"Default Display" in Fluxbox???

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Hermanguy

"Default Display" in Fluxbox???

Post by Hermanguy »

I have tried my second install of Mint 9 Fluxbox and the Terminal window will ask for my Login name and password. After providing this information it runs a few lines and then says: Cannot run display "default display" --I simply do not know what to type at the next prompt to get things moving beyond this point.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rich_roast

Re: "Default Display" in Fluxbox???

Post by rich_roast »

Hermanguy wrote: the Terminal window
I think it might be helpful to give us a better understanding on where you were just before the "terminal window". If that's a "tty" (you'll know because it's all you can see) then you don't have X running, which is why fluxbox is unable to find a screen.

Put another way, you need whatever display manager it is that fluxbox uses (gdm I guess?) to be running; it should present you with a graphical login. Is this not the case? If it isn't, it should be. In that case, we need to debug why it's not starting. The content of your /var/log/Xorg.0.log -- particularly (EE) messages -- will be useful in tracking that down.
Hermanguy

Re: "Default Display" in Fluxbox???

Post by Hermanguy »

I use a MacBook with Parallels virtual environment to run Linux guest systems. I have Mint 10 & 11 GNOME, Mint 10 & 11 LXDE, and Peppermint 2 running as guest systems and they have loaded and run fine for months. I just thought that I would take Mint 9 Fluxbox for a spin as there appears to be a new Mint 11 Fluxbox on the way. However, I did encounter this problem for the first time. After the distro loads Parallels will kick-out the disk and boot-up off of the hard drive. Everything is usually OK and I log on with user name and password at the splash screen and customize/use the distro. This time everything appeared to load OK, but as the system was booting it stopped and asked for my user name and password (black screen Terminal format). After that more lines of code that appeared to say things were OK, but then I get the "default display" notice. I did see the "tty" item. I did download the distro twice and tried to load twice thinking it was an error in the copy to disk.

One small note. I am fairly new to Linux, but usually the systems just load without further prompting. I just started using Linux with Mint 10 GNOME. As Fluxbox 9 was loading it stopped and I right-clicked on the green desktop before me. The system menu came-up and I noticed "Install" as the first item and clicked on it and everything started to load as usual. Is this normal for Mint 9 Fluxbox?

Return to “Software & Applications”