Mint e17 release date?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
molom

Re: Mint e17 release date?

Post by molom »

It should be released this week or next week. It will be a very good beta.
Cheers
molom
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ZoundZ

Post by ZoundZ »

Hey, is this just for having E17 installed on MInt, like the directions given in the Wiki? Or is this something new? I'm new to LInux, and I just got done using Geubuntu(a Ubuntu that uses E17, and fills in the things it's weak, or just doesn't have with GNOME, but it's still to buggy for me), and now I'm using MInt. I like it a lot, but there are a few things that GNOME lacks to me, that Enlightenment works wonders with. GNOME doesn't have(as far as I know, I'm new, like I said) a way to manage your workstations from the task bar type area, and Enlightenment has an awesome setup for the task bar and workstation viewers. Unfortunately, Enlightenment has the worst window manager possible, so I can't use it alone either. Sorry to ramble, but, I was just wondering exactly what this beta is going to be.
molom

Post by molom »

ZoundZ wrote:Hey, is this just for having E17 installed on MInt, like the directions given in the Wiki? Or is this something new? I'm new to LInux, and I just got done using Geubuntu(a Ubuntu that uses E17, and fills in the things it's weak, or just doesn't have with GNOME, but it's still to buggy for me), and now I'm using MInt. I like it a lot, but there are a few things that GNOME lacks to me, that Enlightenment works wonders with. GNOME doesn't have(as far as I know, I'm new, like I said) a way to manage your workstations from the task bar type area, and Enlightenment has an awesome setup for the task bar and workstation viewers. Unfortunately, Enlightenment has the worst window manager possible, so I can't use it alone either. Sorry to ramble, but, I was just wondering exactly what this beta is going to be.
Just left click on the taskbar on and press 'add to panel' and under 'desktop and windows' and double click 'workplace switcher' and you can move it by left clicking the 'workplace switcher' and clicking 'move'. If this isn't what your talking about on Daryna gnome just tell me and explain the situation further so I can help you out.

BTW I think e17 is amazing, its just hard for people moving from Windows/Mac to use. It isn't complete, but I find it perfectly usable. Geubuntu does have many bugs, but it's just one Italian guy that's developing it. The Linux Mint e17 edition is coming out soon, so whenever you have time, try the live cd and give me feedback.

Cheers,
molom
ZoundZ

Post by ZoundZ »

Thanks, that actually covered one of my main problems. :) Other things I don't like about it simple can't be changed, unless it's actually integrated with Enlightenment the way it's in my head. But, anyways, what exactly is this E17 release going to be? Just E17 instead of GNOME?
molom

Post by molom »

ZoundZ wrote:Thanks, that actually covered one of my main problems. :) Other things I don't like about it simple can't be changed, unless it's actually integrated with Enlightenment the way it's in my head. But, anyways, what exactly is this E17 release going to be? Just E17 instead of GNOME?
The CD edition is going to be a lightweight version, which isn't going to consist of many apps because even though e17 is extremely fast, its still a very large Window Manager/Desktop Environment. The CD edition is going to have just e17, but with different apps opposing the Gnome version. It will have very nice artwork. And it will be very fast compared to Gnome and even XFCE. I have many plans for the DVD edition that probably will come after the CD edition. The DVD edition will have many nice apps such as songbird, jokosher, Deluge and others. And there will be several installers in it if there's enough time. The installers will ask you if you are a previous Mac user or Windows user and if you want the e17 default and will set a familiar interface for each user. Another installer will ask, which theme you want. And the other installer will ask what apps you want giving a screenshot and description for each app. I imagine the Mint e17 will be the most polished e17 distro by version 5.0 because there is going to be redone artwork and after the experience of Mint e17 4.0 we will be able to improve apps and needs.
ZoundZ

Post by ZoundZ »

Sounds good. :) I really do like Enlightenment, just needs a little brushing up on the window manager.
molom

Post by molom »

ZoundZ wrote:Sounds good. :) I really do like Enlightenment, just needs a little brushing up on the window manager.
I forgot to tell you. The Mint e17 4.0 beta should be out next week, but there is no fixed release date.
Pikey
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Pikey »

VaMPiRiC_CRoW wrote:
Praetor wrote:I feel like a little kid, everyday I check this thread hoping to see e17 has been released. Thanks in advance to all the developers for their efforts, they are greatly appreciated.
Same here :D
Dare I say it ?? ... me too !!
FyrFyt
Level 1
Level 1

Post by FyrFyt »

Update?
molom

Post by molom »

I have now created a blog for the Mint E17 project. Any questions, feedback, suggestions and comments will be responded to on this blog - http://linuxminte17.wordpress.com/ . If someone asks any questions about Mint E17 on Linux Mint forums I will simply ask them to post it on this blog instead. I will find it less time consuming and easier to respond to everyones questions.
This is the blog site - http://linuxminte17.wordpress.com/ .
I really want to get this message through. Release dates also have been placed on this forum and many features and pre-installed apps have also been stated.

Cheers,
molom
Aimless_E

Post by Aimless_E »

Looks like the project has been canceled....wonder why....maybe it needed a catchy name like enlighten-mint. The project has moved to http://www.maryan-linux.com. It a shame that they didn't stick with Mint. I think a rehash of mintupdate using the EFL would have been awesome.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

It's http://en.maryanlinux.com/ and I have tested their iso and I think it shouldn't have been released.
It has a lot of bugs that would have been found if they stayed with linux mint.
Also this is the 3rd website name change, so I'm not sure how long they will be up.
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

I'm real excited about e17, but not about that particular project. I do like the opengeu approach to e17, but I think that a Mint approach would be even better. Unfortunately, I'm not in a life or career position to take the lead on any sort of CEU project development or frankly do much more right now than muse that it would be cool to use if someone else did the work of putting it all together.

The opengeu approach, is basically gnome with enlightenment as the window manager in place of metacity/compiz. So the guts underneath are still gnome, giving a lot of app stability but replacing metacity with the much smoother and faster (and less stable) e17. But to put it together right would probably require a DVD iso, as e17 is a bulky install (never did grasp the "why" of that).

At this moment I think opengeu is the most polished e17 disto out there, and thats not saying much because my "gripe list" about opengeu is pretty darn long.
Aimless_E

Post by Aimless_E »

I have to agree with AK Dave OpenGEU isn't very good. I have been very happy with e17 on Mint after installing via the easy_e17 script. It is fast and beautiful. I haven't the time to lead a project to make a Mint E17 community release but I would like to see a decent distro that is based on E17 and the EFL. I might write a script or two to integrate E17 with Mint to at least help those that want to use it as their desktop. I will post them here if I'm allowed.
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

I'd love to see a decent script to integrate e17 with Mint. That would be a great help for me, at least. I'll poke around for this easy_e17 also. I love Mint, enjoyed a lot about e17, but have been very frustrated with e17-based distros such as elive and opengeu (though between those two I'd give the edge to opengeu due to beauty/aesthetics but not due to stability, integration, or functionality).

I'd do better to just install Mint XFCE if I just wanted speed, but there is a lot of "polish" to e17 that I really enjoy. Plus the enjoyable dose of confusion that happens when Windows users get hold of it and try to use it like Windows. But that is both a blessing and a curse for e17.

Return to “Software & Applications”