Daryna Fluxbox CE BETA 028 released.

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Daryna Fluxbox CE BETA 028 released.

Post by merlwiz79 »

exploder wrote:I have Shoutcast .PLS files working. The fix for this was to install Xmms. Could someone else that has the beta installed confirm this? I tried several things before I came up with an answer.

Is this a fix that the community would like? Has anyone else come up with another answer?

If this is an acceptable solution we could find a Minty skin for the default Xmms theme.

Here is one suggestion for a theme http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show. ... tent=58688
This is a problem with mplayer.
You can use mplayer to play it, but you have to download the file and run this in terminal:

Code: Select all

gmplayer -playlist  shoutcast.pls
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

merlwiz79 , I wondered why mplayer would not work with pls files, thanks for the explanation. Do you think the solution I came up with would be ok for the final release or do you think it would be better to try and edit the mplayer config file to get mplayer to work with shoutcast instead?

I am also finding out what clem meant in the release notes regarding the tools. if I run mintconfig from the menu I find that some of the tools do not work.

-Devices- "Xfce 4 mixer settings" will not start. "Xfce Printing System Settings" will not start.

-Networking- "Sun Java 6 Policy Tool" will not start.

-Administration- "Mint Update" when I click on it it askes for the password and that's it...

All of these work from other places within the menu, just not from within mintconfig.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Envy and the "Restricted manager" did not even start for me in mintConfig.
//Edit/Envy let me install the missing dependencies. These are not a bug, but a decision in the Standard Daryna edition to leave them out to make it fit on a CD//
At first thought it has to do with that I'm running it in Virtualbox and so I'm "borrowing" the video driver from my installed Daryna, but that is maybe not the case
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I can get "Envy" to start and it asks me if I want to install the missing dependency's.

I can not start "Restricted Drivers" from mintconfig, it will run from within the system section of the regular menu though.

So far I see two thing that really need attention.

1) -mintconfig- Should it be modified to work in the Fluxbox Edition or should something new be created to have a centralized control center in fluxbox?

2) -OpenOffice- is it meant to be a default package in the Fluxbox Edition? If it is intended to be included, the menu entry s need to be created in the office section of the menu and the splash and openabout need to be changed to the Mint ones. (This is easy to fix if it is intended to be a default app.)

mintconfig seems to be the hurdle to overcome because a centralized control center seems to be a topic in many reviews and we of course want the Fluxbox Edition to get favorable reviews and be at the top of the list for user's that want to run Fluxbox. I want to help Shane make the Fluxbox Edition the very best it can be and I hope that everyone feels this way.

Does anyone have any suggestions on mintconfig or making a centralized control center? I do not have any starting point for this and have no programming skills but I would be happy to work with anyone that has ideas or skill to accomplish this. Lets all help Shane make this flavor of Mint be the very best it can be!
Last edited by exploder on Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
EdwardsNH

Post by EdwardsNH »

"I would guess you get the same with Ubuntu"

Actually... no. Just the Linux Mint versions. But your post gave me an idea, I played with the "other options", and was able to boot up. Thanks

This is my beater, so I tried to install, no luck. Might be a bad CD, or perhaps my drive is on its last legs.
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

Xgamer wrote:I have problem with Daryna Fluxbox it doesn´t boot, that the linux kernel didn´t found :| Can you help me?
Hello Xgamer,
I had the same problem.
I burned two disks just to find out I had a bad ISO download. Did you check the MD5 sum in your Iso?
My bad download was 517Mbytes. :o The right download should read 513MB.
My second Iso was good. Now I am testing Fluxbox :)

Good luck,
npap
wubuntu
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wubuntu »

Hi,

can I install the MintFluxbox Edition with all features from the Repos?
I mean, additionally to my GNOME-Desktop?

Thanx and Greetings

wubuntu
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

wubuntu , I do not think it is possible right now to install the Fluxbox Edition in this fashion. You could install the beta as another os along side the main edition.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Hi,

Just a quick note: Release notes are always written by the maintainer of the edition. So the ones for this edition were written by Shane.

Clem
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Something else that might need looked at. In Firefox, Bookmarks, there is a folder called "About XFCE CE", some of the information in "Extra Information" is applicable to installed packages but this could be misunderstood by someone that is new to Fluxbox.
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

Hello and welcome cocozsdo.
Read the thread below on this subject. It may be your problem too.

http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... 631#p51631
Cheers,
npap
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

HI all! thanks for the interest and support you are all giving to Mint FB

I just want to make a short recap of things that need attending to, known bugs and the like... If you have read my other post you will know that I am on holiday and so I wont be doing any substantial work on this Beta... So if ou have a fix for a problem please let us know... it will make the fixing faster once i do get around to working on Mint FB.

-----------------------------

1) The bad launchers in mintConfig. As far as I know mintConfig uses the .desktop files located in /usr/share/applications to create the launchers in it. and this is where the problem lies... either the launchers installed by the various tools are broken or removing of a certain tool has left an undeleted launcher pointing to a tool that has been removed...

As a side note... I am ot a programmer, I am dependent heavily on Mint XFCE's tools... If anybody can write a set of tools specifically for Mint FB that would be the best case scenario... using light libraries or ones already present would be vital.

2) I will have to fix the persisting user 'mint' after install... i didnt notice this... i will look into this.

3) Is anyone else getting OpenOffice in the menus? I did remove it and stuck to Abiword and Gnumeric. Please let me know... because this should be fixed.

4) Mplayer. This has not been one of the better parts of this Beta. Mplayer does try to prevent Gnome Screensaver from kicking in... but it is not on the system and so gives the error mentioned earlier... this does not affect playback though. Mint FB is using X Screensaver instead.

I personally prefer VLC as a video player over Mplayer. However, I did decide on Mplayer because it seems more widely used as Firefox's media player... and I really wanted one or the other... not both.

If anyone can, can you please test VLC as the default media player for local media files, streaming files and media embedded in web pages. On an old machine on which i tested Mint FB, Mplayer wouldn't display the media properly in fullscreen mode. It would take over the screen but the media would be displayed in the original resolution...

We need a reliable default video player. For an audio player I would have gone with Audacious but Exaile provides the library funtionality which I think is important in any modern audio player.

5) Why Gpaint over GIMP? this decision was made to reduce the size of the ISO image file and make Mint FB more compatible with older machines (GIMP does require a healthy serving of RAM... Firefox and Thunderbird too... but I think these are too essential to make room for compromise...) However, let us know if you think GIMP is worth the extra weight... nothing is set in stone :D

6) There seems to be a few people with ISOs that do not work... Please check the md5sum and confirm that the ISO image you have is without errors... If it is, and you are still having the same problem... well, we have a big problem then :P

7) Firefox Bookmarks. I shall look into that... The first thing I do in FF is remove the Bookmarks toolbar.. so I didnt notice the XFCE links...

--------------------------------

OK that was my recap of the problems discovered so far... If I have missed anything out please add to the list.

My parents here have an old AMD Duron 600MHz machine here... with 128MB RAM which they don't use. A chance to install Mint FB on such an antique was not to be missed... so thats what I did yesterday :D It wasn't without its hassles... Booting up in Live CD mode filled up the RAM completely. I found this strange as on my machine Mint FB didn't use up 128MB at startup! How much does it use on your machines?

Anyway, single user mode, creating a swap partition and closing unnecessary applications (Network Manager and mintUpdate) got Ubiquity running decently... I did take quite a while but it installed just fine... This got me thinking of an alternate CD without Live CD capabilities... we are aiming for lower end hardware afterall...

After installation, Everything seems to be working like clockwork except for the Mplayer issue with fullscreen I mentioned earlier...

OK I'll end here... Keep testing and keep the feedback coming! I'll be watching this space :D
Husse

Post by Husse »

Open office
There are "tons" of open office files. As I did not see it in the menus I did "sudo updatedb" followed by "locate -i openoffice" and the number of files it found was overwhelming
So if Oo is not supposed to be there you can gain much space by deleting these files
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Shane, thanks for the update!

1) The tools are a problem, they seem to work fine from the shortcuts in the fluxbox menu. I used Catfish to find all of the files for mintconfig but could not figure out what to change to get things working.I am not a programmer either. (Catfish sure is fast for finding files!)

2) The mint user is just an empty folder. I am not sure how it was left behind.

3) If you watch the install you can see all of the OpenOffice packages being installed. Removing OpenOffice will gain you a lot of space.The one OpenOffice shortcut is in the Auto-generated Menu/ Applications/ Office/ OpenOffice.org Writer

4) The error when starting MPlayer does not affect playback like you said, I tried to figure out how to get rid of the error but have not been able to solve it yet. Your idea about VLC sounds good, it is just as popular. Another problem is playing Shoutcast, MPlayer will not work for .pls files and .pls did not even show up in Firefox. I installed Xmms and it plays Shoutcast and .pls showed up in Firefox. I do not know if you are interested in Xmms and your idea about using VLC might solve both of these problems.

5) I uderstand your decision to use GPaint. Gimp does use a lot of RAM and could be added by a user that has the RAM for it after the install.

6) The ISO problem may be inherited from the Ubuntu base.

7) The Firefox Bookmarks looks like an easy fix.

Your idea about an alternate install disk sounds interesting, this would be of great help to people that have low end hardware. The fact that you were able to install the Fluxbox Edition on a Duron 600 system sound very encouraging!

Thanks for your responce to the bugs found, it looks like you have some good ideas for resolving the problems. The only major hurdle I can see is the tools.

I have to compliment you on the quality of the beta, this is by far one of the best looking Fluxbox based editions I have ever seen. (I have tried them all!) Your choice of applications is the best as well. Catfish impressed me with how quickly it finds files, it is by far the best search tool I have tried! The desktop shortcut is handy! When I download something to the desktop I can quickly get to it. I am not a fan of shortcuts on the desktop but this one is essential in my opinion, very nice! All of the applications maintain the same type of look and launch quick, with the exception of Firefox and Thunderbird. Firefox is the most functional browser, there really is nothing lighter that is as capable. Giving Conky a Minty look and using a Fluxbox logo in the GDM theme was a nice touch and shows attention to details! I look forward to the finished Fluxbox Edition!
Husse

Post by Husse »

When I start the Fusesmb tool I get a message
"Unable to read ~/.smb/fusesmbtool.conf" and after that it opened
I also found you need sudo for shutdown it's not "wrong" but unexpected
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I installed VLC and it will work for Shoutcast .pls files and plays DVD movies with no problems or errors. Xmms is not needed but removing MPlayer in favor of VLC made a real mess out of things. When I tried removing MPlayer it took away most of the ability to edit file types in Firefox. What do you think of leaving MPlayer installed and set as the default for QT files so that Apple Movie Trailers use it, set VLC as the default for .PLS files and change the shortcut in the Fluxbox Menu for Movie Player so that VLC is used? This is the only way I have found so far to get all media types to work. This of course will need testing with other file types.

I removed OpenOffice and at first it seemed to make a real mess of things. Packages showed up in "Auto Removable" in Synaptic but after cleaning things up my system seems to have not suffered any ill effects.

I should have checked my disk space space before I made all of the changes but I believe I have 21 megs more free space than when I started making the changes.

If anyone knows how to remove MPlayer and get VLC to play all media types please post how. I do not know if my solution is the way to go. It does work though.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

Husse wrote:When I start the Fusesmb tool I get a message
"Unable to read ~/.smb/fusesmbtool.conf" and after that it opened
I also found you need sudo for shutdown it's not "wrong" but unexpected
Here this should help.
Setting User Privileges to use FuseSMBtool:
  1. Open Users and Groups from the menu.
  2. Double Click the User Name that is used to login.
  3. Click User Privileges.
  4. Check the box next to Allow use of fuse filesystems like LTSP Thin Client block devices.
  5. Click OK and Close Users Settings.
  6. Now restart the system.
Error messages:
Unable to read fusesmbtool.conf
  • This is the first time running the program and this file has not be created yet.
  • This file was deleted or renamed.
  • The Permissions was changed to the .smb folder or the fusesmbtool.conf file.
failed to exec fusermount: Permission denied
  • The User Privileges has not been set, see Setting User Privileges to use FuseSMBtool .
mountpoint is not empty
  • FuseSMBtool does not allow the mountpoint to have any files in it, move these file to connect the mountpoint.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Thansk merlwiz for helping out, shane will shurely appreciate any help.
The fusesmb error message is there all the time, but I have not configured anything
Reading the explanation you provide it might be unavoidable, but could perhaps be changed
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Almost forgot this one! Conky's position needs to changed to the other side of the desktop because of the Desktop icon.

I keep looking at mintconfig, 5 apps in it will not launch and the " Custom" section will not be functional in Fluxbox as far as I can tell. All of the programs that are in mintconfig will run from the Fluxbox menu entries. Any ideas?
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

exploder wrote:merlwiz79 , I wondered why mplayer would not work with pls files, thanks for the explanation. Do you think the solution I came up with would be ok for the final release or do you think it would be better to try and edit the mplayer config file to get mplayer to work with shoutcast instead?

I am also finding out what clem meant in the release notes regarding the tools. if I run mintconfig from the menu I find that some of the tools do not work.

-Devices- "Xfce 4 mixer settings" will not start. "Xfce Printing System Settings" will not start.

-Networking- "Sun Java 6 Policy Tool" will not start.

-Administration- "Mint Update" when I click on it it askes for the password and that's it...

All of these work from other places within the menu, just not from within mintconfig.
Xfce 4 mixer settings and Xfce Printing System Settings fix:

sudo apt install xfce4-mcs-manager
Sun Java 6 Policy Tool fix:

sudo rm /usr/share/applications/sun-java6-policytool.desktop
sudo ln /usr/share/control-center-2.0/capplets/sun-java6-policytool.desktop /usr/share/applications/sun-java6-policytool.desktop
mintUpdate runs if it isn't already running, if it is running it switches to root mode.

Return to “Software & Applications”