display is dimmed

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dexl
Level 3
Level 3

display is dimmed

Post by dexl »

I'm running Fluxbox LM9 on my Asus EeePC 1005PE.

Each time I log in the display is barely visible, so I need to manually click on Power Manager and once the window opens, the brightness is back to normal, i.e. 99%. I don't even have to touch the slider, just close the Power manager window and the display brightness is perfect. BUT if I set it to 100% is goes dimmer! (how strange is that?)

My question: How can I set it so that the 99% brightness stays on each boot? Is this a bug? Thanks in advance! :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux Mint 20 MATE
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: display is dimmed

Post by xenopeek »

dexl
Level 3
Level 3

Post by dexl »

Thanks. I followed this advice and now my screen brightness is 0 when I boot, so I can't even see when to type in my user name and password to change this to the previous state of being only dimmed - the screen is now all BLACK, and I can't see anything. :( I'm booting off a USB stick to type this.

Again, the problem is that when the screen brightness is set to 100% it is DARKER than when I set it to 99%. So the solution above makes it impossible to fix the problem as it makes it go black altogether. Even now (I'm booting a live Ubuntu system) under display settings, the brightness behaves in the same funny way. Any ideas?
Linux Mint 20 MATE
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

You can try with a different command? Start with:

Code: Select all

setpci -s 00:02.0 F4.B=50
Should be half brightness, and you can go up or down from there. But if 99 is a good value, use that.
shengchieh

Post by shengchieh »

Type whatever command works into your autostart script. Then the change is after every boot.

Sheng-Chieh
FaTaL_ErrOr

Post by FaTaL_ErrOr »

After choosing the linux mint operating system from your bootloader, keep pressing Fn (button) from your laptop while tapping the right arrow (brightness increase) untill you see the select user welcome screen. Thats my trick or else i have the same problem as you. Then it finally boots with full brightness. Hope that helped.
dexl
Level 3
Level 3

Post by dexl »

Thanks everyone. I fixed it by doing what xenopeek recommended. Set 99 for brightness.

setpci -s 00:02.0 F4.B=99
Linux Mint 20 MATE
kpearsonxyz
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kpearsonxyz »

Please don't use the setpci command unless you thoroughly study how bad it can hurt your hardware. A much better option would be to try xbacklight -inc 100 (or in your case, xbacklight -inc 100;xbacklight -dec 1) to set the brightness and if that works, script it, Ie:

#!/bin/sh
# Karl Pearson
# 2013.12.08 - 00:12:00

xbacklight -inc 100
xbacklight -dec 1
I hope that works for you...
KpearsonXYZ
Registered Linux User 424918
(15 years on Linux before[/i ]registering)
Only Linux. All Linux. Full-time Linux.
Support Windows under duress, but do it good enough for gov'ment work.

Return to “Software & Applications”