Mint Settings & Add USer in Mate

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Leo.san

Mint Settings & Add USer in Mate

Post by Leo.san »

Been using the 12 release from softpedia this morning, working well but I noticed none of the Mint tools are present in the MATE enviroment except for the Mint Menu, The simplified settings is missing and there is No way to Add or Modify user accounts in the Mate environment, cant even do it in the control centre, but have been able to in the gnome 3 shell enviroment.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Mint Settings & Add USer in Mate

Post by remoulder »

Mint 12 is not yet released, there may well yet be changes/additions to the setup.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
Leo.san

Post by Leo.san »

Now it is, downloaded fresh copy from linuxmint homepage, installed fresh. Same issue.

There is nothing allowing you to add or modify user accounts in the MATE enviroment, but there is in gnome 3.
jacknocturne

Post by jacknocturne »

I would like to know the solution to this. I can't manage user accounts from MATE.
jacknocturne

Post by jacknocturne »

Bump
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Install the following package:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install gnome-system-tools
Then go to Menu > System > Administration > Users and Groups

Note: To those of you who are not using MATE you may have noticed that the Gnome3 counterpart at Menu > System Tools > System Settings > User Accounts is severely limited now because the Gnome-inite overlords have determined that the average user has no business messing about with user account creation involving more advanced settings and groups due to their limited intelligence. While they are not looking you too can install gnome-system-tools and have "Users and Groups" available at Menu > Other > Users and Groups
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
SilFox
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SilFox »

Thank You, altair4 !
I'm new Mint(12) user, currently using gnome3 classic, and just today I installed Virtualbox(oracle), and then I stucked on how to add myself to virtualbox user group. Went to "System settings --> User accounts" and can't believe my eyes - I can't do practicaly nothing there.
After installing "gnome-system-tools", --> Applications-->Other-->Users and Groups, I managed to add myself to virtualbox group.
jacknocturne

Post by jacknocturne »

Thanks that definitely worked. Too bad i can't mark the thread solved since it was started by someone else.

Cheers :)
Falconus

Post by Falconus »

I was having the same problem with LXDE, but the gnome-system-tools has added the Users and Groups option in the Preferences menu :D . Thank you!
jenissley

Post by jenissley »

altair4 wrote:Install the following package:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install gnome-system-tools
Then go to Menu > System > Administration > Users and Groups

Note: To those of you who are not using MATE you may have noticed that the Gnome3 counterpart at Menu > System Tools > System Settings > User Accounts is severely limited now because the Gnome-inite overlords have determined that the average user has no business messing about with user account creation involving more advanced settings and groups due to their limited intelligence. While they are not looking you too can install gnome-system-tools and have "Users and Groups" available at Menu > Other > Users and Groups
I was about to start pulling my hair out wondering what I was overlooking - now I know i wasn't overlooking anything, it wasn't there. Thank You for this tip!!!!!
James
Hubcaps

Post by Hubcaps »

Awesome, thanks for the tip, really appreciate it. Was using GNOME but switched to MATE because the graphics started bugging so I switched and not having user access can be a problem :P

Return to “Software & Applications”