Linux Mint 12, no panels, just desktop with 2 icons

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
measlyWeasel

Re: Linux Mint 12, no panels, just desktop with 2 icons

Post by measlyWeasel »

I'm experiencing the same issue with gnome 3 and the proprietary nvidia drivers. no panels, desktop shortcuts still show up, right clicking brings up normal context menu, any windows i open lack normal window decorations.

Nouveau drivers work for me with gnome 3 but wind up crashing my system sporadically for another known issue with nouveau. Gnome classic and MATE both work fine with the nvidia drivers.

if anyone out there figures anything out about this I'd love to get it working someday, Call me crazy but I actually like the new gnome 3 interface.

Code: Select all

~ $ inxi -G
Graphics:  Card: nVidia NV31 [GeForce FX 5600 Ultra] 
           X.Org 1.10.4 drivers nvidia unloaded: fbdev,vesa,nouveau Resolution 1680x1050@50.0hz 
           GLX Renderer GeForce FX 5600 Ultra/AGP/SSE2/3DNOW! GLX Version 2.1.2 NVIDIA 173.14.30
mank_in

Post by mank_in »

@ measlyWeasel
With current driver ( nouveau and NVIDIA ) Geforce FX family cannot work with gnome shell, maybe in the future.
The latest driver for NVIDIA geforce FX family is NVIDIA 173.14.31 . You can try download from NVIDIA website .But i never try it.
If you want try newer nouveau driver you can add ppa:oibaf/graphics-drivers . But NVIDIA performance better than Nouveau.
The best configuration is MATE and NVIDIA driver.
NeoMint
Level 2
Level 2

Post by NeoMint »

I conside gnome3 shell, a serious bug. One that took away from the open software experience, as a whole. Lightdm even gave out on me, and I having to use KDM to get to my Mate desktop. I only left the stability of the Debian Stable (Gnome 2 still intact!) + select backport (and exoddle, and smxi scripts, for ease of build up), and with added Plymouth (which behaves a little better, on shutdown) just to see all the new stuff, such as gnome 3 shell, unity 3D, 2D, Cinnamon, and the only sane thing now, Mate. While Mate is not without it's renaming issues, it makes others look bad; even though it's technically a new fork. You know what? That's sad.

Way to Foul it up Canonical, Unity, and Gnome 3 team. How much kickback, and under the table payola did Microsoft through your way? Hmmm?

Thank you Mint and Clem, for helping make a way.

ADD: I fixed lightdm
Last edited by NeoMint on Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tronus

Post by tronus »

If you are having trouble with your panels, at least in gnome, try running

/usr/bin/gnome-panel&
This should reset your panel. I'm not sure about kde, but check your /usr/bin/ directory and see what you can find that's related to your desktop settings. New Linux distros can be frustrating mostly because a lot of the community seems to enjoy the smells of their own farts, but I hope this helps. I'll continue to pass things along. I'm coming from OpenSuse to Linux Mint since Suse seemed to fail me once too often. I hope this distro works out. :D
NeoMint
Level 2
Level 2

Post by NeoMint »

Trust me, Gnome 3 shell didn't like my Geforce card, for some unknown reason. This is exactly why, gnome 2 should still be available (Mate proves that), while Gnome 3 and its shell is being stabilized, and not you for some, but mostly everyone, with more than sufficient hardware.

It's history now, and everyone knows it was HOW, they did it; that took away more Linux users. Hopefully, we're going forward anyway, but some will NEVER return, and no one seems to care about that. Big mistake. This is why, I suspect sabotage. We have to avoid sabotage, in any case. We can not cut off stable parts, till new ones are better stable. We don't have to ever, do it that way.
bento2000
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bento2000 »

I have a laptop P4 with NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5250 and the same problem with Gnome 3D...

ze@laptop-mint ~ $ inxi -G
Graphics: Card: nVidia NV34M [GeForce FX Go5250] X.Org 1.10.4 driver nvidia Resolution 1152x864@55.0hz
GLX Renderer GeForce FX Go5250/AGP/SSE2 GLX Version 2.1.2 NVIDIA 173.

I've tried everything: NVIDIA-173, NVIDIA-96, NVIDIA-Legacy-173xx (from DEB repository) and finally the driver from www.nvidia.com (NVIDIA-Linux-x 86-173.14.31-pkg1.run)

The latter is the only one with which I got 2 icons on the Gnome desktop... but only and only that. I went back to the MATE and works fine. Gnome Classic also works well. And with all screen resolutions in the NVIDIA X SERVER SETTINGS. No more tweaks,..

If someone wants to try this "Certified" Driver:

1 Get it from http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-disp ... river.html
2 Stop X: sudo service lightdm stop
3 Get root: sudo su
4 Go to the folder where is the file
5 Install driver: sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-173.14.31-pkg1.run
6 Always Click "Yes" on error (if any) and "Yes" to auto-create file to disable nouveau driver (This last action is like gold, there is no need to do anything else about the nouveau driver)
7 Reboot
vaciz

Post by vaciz »

tronus wrote:If you are having trouble with your panels, at least in gnome, try running

/usr/bin/gnome-panel&
This should reset your panel. I'm not sure about kde, but check your /usr/bin/ directory and see what you can find that's related to your desktop settings. New Linux distros can be frustrating mostly because a lot of the community seems to enjoy the smells of their own farts, but I hope this helps. I'll continue to pass things along. I'm coming from OpenSuse to Linux Mint since Suse seemed to fail me once too often. I hope this distro works out. :D
Hy guys, thanks for your advice, IT WORKS GREAT!!
I've just missing my panel and after I run the code you gave, I GOT MY PANEL BACK!!
:lol: :lol:

Thanks so much..
aki

Post by aki »

I had the exact same problem. Solved it by choosing MATE in the login screen instead of "last session" (which I assumed was MATE).

Return to “Software & Applications”