Linux mint 12 lxde review.

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Shay255

Linux mint 12 lxde review.

Post by Shay255 »

So I wanted some opinions on the new Linux mint 12 lxde and if it is better then Linux mint 11 lxde on a netbook and 8 year old desktop. I was also wondering if there was a way to download Google chrome on Linux mint 12 lxde. I had problems installing it on my 1 year old acer aspire one netbook and my 8 year old acer veriton desktop. If somebody could tell me how to install google chrome on it and if it is wroth installing on my acer desktop and acer netbook that would be great thanks=].
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Linux mint 12 lxde review.

Post by kc1di »

I'm using Linux mint 12 lxde here on a 7 year old Machine and it's work great. I would suggest though that you use the Chromium-browser found in the mint repositories or install the Chrome ppa repository instead of downloading and install chrome form the web. The reason being if if you install the downloaded version if may not be updated when needed.

hope this helps.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
3fRI

Re: Linux mint 12 lxde review.

Post by 3fRI »

I'm running LM 12 lxde-xfce 32-bit on my 5-year old MacBook and have not experienced any significant problems at all from burning the ISO image on a CD to installing.

The first thing I noticed is how much faster it runs than the main edition once it boots. On the other hand, it boots slower than the main edition, but I can live with that. I'm still experimenting a bit with some desktop options. For example, when logging in, you have the option of selecting default, lxde, mint-lxde, or xfce desktops (but you have to install some of these packages from Synaptic first). For some reason, which I haven't figured out yet, the xfce desktop doesn't load, but I'll check the forums for a possible solution. In addition to the speed, the UI seems much cleaner and clearer.

Some users have mentioned CPU and RAM issues on other LXDE threads, but I haven't experienced them. Since I loathe Pulse Audio, I installed Gnome Alsa Mixer and unchecked the muted sound boxes in the GUI and adjusted the volume, which immediately solved the usual sound issues that often accompany a new install.

Another thing that I love about LXDE is that both my wired and wireless printers worked out of the box after the initial set-up! :D With the LM 12 main edition, I've been unable to configure the wireless printer, which is another story.

In sum, I like this version so well that I've replace the LM 12 main edition with it on the laptop. Enjoy! 8)

Return to “Software & Applications”