SOLVED!!! Duh? No 'X' on Thinkpad T23

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mintwatcher

SOLVED!!! Duh? No 'X' on Thinkpad T23

Post by mintwatcher »

Hi Mint!
Oops! Posted on the wrong forum. Anyway, first time here. Been everywhere for at least a while. Been with LM10 Gnome on my T23 laptop and while it set no new records in the 100 meter dash, I was happy.
Tried to use LM12 LXDE....any LM12, and I guess it must be the end of the road for S3 Savage support? Is there something in the 3-series kernel that doesn't agree with this machine?
All I get is a shell and a pretty much 'default empty' Xorg.conf file.
I have installed PCLinuxOS XFCE and LXDE on it and they run fine. I want to keep up with Mint, but I've hit a dead end with my old Model T. Seems they don't want my old washed up horse and buggy on the autobahn anymore?
Any suggestions? Can't comprehend that a lightweight desktop won't boot on my older hardware. Kinda like Jumbo Shrimp, huh?
Thanks.
mintwatcher
Level 1

Private messageE-mail
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mintwatcher

Re: No 'X' on Thinkpad T23

Post by mintwatcher »

SOLVED!!
So sorry to bother anyone, but I guess I had a bad CD. Used Imgbrn on my Winduz machine and burned at 4x. Slowest burn speed allowed by Nero was 16x. Used another burner as well. Goes to show you, after installing and using Linux since 2003, even those of us who've been around a while experience hiccups.
Thanks to all who read the post!
antikythera

Re: SOLVED!!! Duh? No 'X' on Thinkpad T23

Post by antikythera »

On the CD boot menu you can check the integrity of the burnt disc prior to running an install or running the live cd session. Saves a lot of time chasing non-errors caused by dodgy burns :)

Return to “Software & Applications”