Modify keyboard in lxde? Or, where is my XF86Config?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
terceiro

Modify keyboard in lxde? Or, where is my XF86Config?

Post by terceiro »

I recently installed LXDE onto my happily running Linux Mint 12 Lisa install. Running LXDE is a joy of speed and convenience, and not nearly as ugly as Xfce. I have only one major holdout (so far) and that is I can't figure out how to make my caps-lock key into an additional ctrl key.

It's easy in Mint 12 and Ubuntu 11.10 and even on Mac and Windows. But I'm stymied here.

I read online that I should add a line to my XF86Config-4 file (Option "XkbOptions" "ctrl:swapcaps"), which would be fine except I can't locate my XF86Config-4. Running "locate XF86Config" returns nothing. "find XF86Config" also doesn't return any results. There is no such file under /etc/X11.

Nor is there an xorg.conf, either. I feel pretty silly at this point, because I simply can't figure out where else to look or what to try. I'm not a total newbie (well, I am to Mint: but I've been running *nix systems on and off for nearly twenty years now), but I'm scratching my head.

Can anyone tell me what has replaced XF86Config or xorg.conf, or, failing that, how to make my caps lock into another ctrl key in Linux Mint LXDE 12?

I am running the latest everything as of today (St. Patrick's Day, 2012) on an old Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop (some 64-bit AMD chip and an Nvidia graphics chipset, I think. The machine was free and is plenty fast for LXDE if only I could put the ctrl where it belongs).

Many thanks, wise Mintians.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rotanibod
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Modify keyboard in lxde? Or, where is my XF86Config?

Post by rotanibod »

same here...any suggestions where to find my X config?
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Modify keyboard in lxde? Or, where is my XF86Config?

Post by Flemur »

I've been running *nix systems on and off for nearly twenty years now

I programmed under Unix for years, but it was also many years ago, and I get confused about how/where linux applies themes and such (using fluxbox, I need to install some extra stuff [xsettingsd] that - I think - hooks up more directly with X). I'm not even sure if "gnome" is doing anything on my system...duh. At least I can use vi without screaming.

Anyway, I was hoping someone who actually knew something would answer you, but here goes.

XF86Config is replaced by xorg.conf, which is generally absent because X automagically figures things out on its own.

You can create a(n) /etc/X11/xorg.conf file from a template and add your modifications to that. If you have nvidia drivers, "nvidia-settings" can generate an xorg.conf file based on what it figured out (dunno about other drivers).

I'm not familiar with the lxde (though use many lx- tools), but some other DE's have some keyboard settings in the menu system under "Desktop" (e.g., change Alt and Ctrl so photoshop will work under wine; I do it in a fluxbox file ("keys"); Xfce does it thru a menu item which refers to the "Desktop" rather than to the keyboard). So you might look there, too.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

Return to “Software & Applications”