XFCE desktop with LXDE

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
3fRI

XFCE desktop with LXDE

Post by 3fRI »

After installing XFCE packages, I have the option of running a XFCE session when I log in. However, when I log in with user name and password it doesn't boot. I can log in with the other options, i.e., default, LXDE and Mint-LXDE. Am I missing a step in the process? :?:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
3fRI

Re: XFCE desktop with LXDE

Post by 3fRI »

Update: I should have mentioned that I had installed the xfce4 packages on my laptop (MacBook), which is now running LXDE. This morning, I installed them on my desktop (iMac) LM 12 main edition and XFCE was there and worked fine when I logged in again. That said, I prefer how Cinnamon and LXDE look and perform overall. 8)
Raydog

Post by Raydog »

3fRI wrote:That said, I prefer how Cinnamon and LXDE look and perform overall. 8)
I don't know why you can't login to Xfce, maybe someone else will be able to help you with that.

If you would like to retain your LXDE desktop but use Xfce4 as your window manager (like I do) you can add it your desktop.cong file.

I'm currently using Peppermint2 so you file will be in a slightly different place than mine: (/home/raydog/.config/lxsession/Peppermint). Anyway, here is my desktop.config file:

[Session]
window_manager=xfwm4

[GTK]
sNet/ThemeName=Shiki-Wise-LXDE
sNet/IconThemeName=gnome-colors-statler
sGtk/FontName=Ubuntu 11
iGtk/ToolbarStyle=3
iGtk/ButtonImages=1
iGtk/MenuImages=1
iGtk/CursorThemeSize=18
iXft/Antialias=1
iXft/Hinting=1
sXft/HintStyle=hintslight
sXft/RGBA=rgb

sGtk/ColorScheme=tooltip_fg_color:#000\ninactive_frame_color:#333333\nbase_color:#fff\nframe_color:#333333\nselected_fg_color:#fff\ntext_color:#1A1A1A\nbg_color:#D8D8D8\ntooltip_bg_color:#F5F5B5\nselected_bg_color:#777777777777\nfg_color:#101010\n
sGtk/CursorThemeName=DMZ-White
iGtk/ToolbarIconSize=3
iNet/EnableEventSounds=1
iNet/EnableInputFeedbackSounds=1

[Mouse]
AccFactor=20
AccThreshold=10
LeftHanded=0

[Keyboard]
Delay=500
Interval=30

Here is a screenshot of my desktop:

Hope you find this useful.
3fRI

Post by 3fRI »

Raydog, thanks for the information. I'll give it another try and use your input as a guide. I really don't need XFCE on the iMac, but it might be useful on the MacBook. Anyway, I'd like to play with it a bit and decide whether to keep it or not. 8)

Return to “Software & Applications”