Is Lxde ready?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
thorbs

Is Lxde ready?

Post by thorbs »

I am a happy user of mint for a couple of years now. I just installed Lxde partly because of the generel development of the linux ui, but also because my laptop was getting a bit old to run the other os.

I am though a bit suprised by the result. I am having stabillity issues I have not seen on the other mint platforms (system freeze, programs closing by themselves with work lost, and the fan constantly running and the machine getting hot)

So I am sitting wondering if Lxde really is ready yet or if it is better to run some other mint edition?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mohack

Re: Is Lxde ready?

Post by mohack »

I had the same motivation to run Mint LXDE on my old laptop. I'm running it in a VB virtual machine, where the standard Mint edition had problems with gnome3 graphics. So I additionally installed LXDE on top of the standard Mint. It's running pretty smoothly and did only crash once or twice while shutting down the VM. In fact, it seems to me that this post-installed version of LXDE runs even smoother than the Mint LXDE version, which I've installed on a different machine a few weeks later. But this might be due to different hardware. Anyway, it seems quite stable to me.
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

Lisa Mint LXDE appears to have been released as 'stable' for the past 4 weeks.

http://community.linuxmint.com/iso
seppalta

Post by seppalta »

Try Mint 11 LXDE - very stable.
rev_pat

Post by rev_pat »

It's Very Stable. Running on a mini-acer and it just cranks along, much better than the gnome version. I love it.
wobbe98

Post by wobbe98 »

I'm also running LXDE on an older laptop (Dell D630) But I need to restart from time to time because of problems with the taskbar and start menu. I'm also experiencing problems with the volume control and wireless network speed.
So I'm thinking of switching to XFCE.
Ikem

Post by Ikem »

seppalta wrote:Try Mint 11 LXDE - very stable.
I'm using Linux Mint 11 LXDE too.

Return to “Software & Applications”