System hangs after exiting xserver (solved)

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ruud_schmitz

System hangs after exiting xserver (solved)

Post by ruud_schmitz »

Hello everybody.

Due to the jokey option for installing nvidia drivers does not work out of the box, i need to install the drivers for my videocard some other way. The easiest seemed to be downloading the driver from nvidia and run the installation script. however. for this, on needs to shutdown the gui. so after "ctlr alt f1" i give it "sudo stop lxdm" seems to be working at first, however, during the process it seems something goes wrong and after "checking batterystate ...... " i have a blinking cursor........(i run it on desktop, not a notebook, so why is that even there ?) the only ways out of there are ctrl alt del, reset- or power button.

now this machine has run ubuntu 11, mint 12, fedora 16 and #! without problems so far. So..... what do i do ? This installation is out of the box, nothing done yet. system specs: Pentium core 2, 965 chipset, 2 GB ram, Nvidia Gforce 6600 GT, 60 GB SDD, 2 x 150 GB WD Raptors. (and off course Mint 12 LXDE)

[edit] i have learned in the mean time that a lot of people having experiencing the a problem much like it. Most of them however after when rebooting after reinstalling a vga driver. As this is exactly the reason why i want to shut xserver down, reinstalling the vga driver is not an option. It solves lots of those problems thoug. One person claims to have solved the problem by deleting xorg.conf(?) i have a strange feeling about that. [/edit]

[edit] i have learned now that the live cd has no problem shutting down xserver this way. So somewhere there must be a difference between the things being loaded and started when botting from the hdd compared to the live cd. Any suggestions ? [/edit]

[edit] it get's weird now. Because i did not get any further, i decided to run the automatic driver installation from the system menu again to create a fresh jokey log and see what is said. And it just installed the 173 driver without complaining. So now my grafic drivers are installed, but the actual problem still exists !! [/edit]

much appeciated !
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ruud_schmitz

Re: System hangs after exiting xserver

Post by ruud_schmitz »

Anybody, please ? :?
ruud_schmitz

Re: System hangs after exiting xserver (solved)

Post by ruud_schmitz »

OK, i just istalled Maya, problem fixed.

Return to “Software & Applications”