New Programmer

Contribute code & patches
Forum rules
No support questions here please

New Programmer

Postby phantom on Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:48 pm

Hi all,

I'm pretty new to Mint distro (actually I've just installed and configured it on my notebook :) ). I'm willing to join any project out there in the community. I've been programming for the last 4 years, mostly C, Python and a bit of Ruby.
Hope I can do some help out there.
Cya. Oh, by the way, my tks to the current Mint's dev team, keep up the great work :D
phantom
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: New Programmer

Postby grimdestripador on Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:58 pm

I'm in the same boat. Look for making some GUI front ends for common mint tasks.
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Postby HANAX on Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:12 am

Hi, I'll gladly help on developing some "minty tool"... however it isn't clear (at least for me) how this works...

All I get for now from reading this forum is "you write what you want and then submit it"... but this is somewhat confusing...I mean there are several people directly responsible for distribution (maintainers?). There are many people with many ideas using Linux Mint. There are devs who want to help. Can anybody tell me:
  • How these groups reach some common point? I mean "this is good idea, let's implement it"
  • Are there any list of "software or ideas to be implemented"?
  • Who decides that this tool is really useful and good and can be integrated into distribution?
  • If I want to write something like another mint tool, who decides if it is "good idea" or "meets mint standards"... like language, code style or whatever...

Many thanx for some explanation about Linux Mint development life :)
HANAX
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Kendall on Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:23 pm

HANAX wrote:How these groups reach some common point? I mean "this is good idea, let's implement it"

The testing procedures are extremely rigorous here at Mint in order to try and maintain the highest possible quality. If you come up with a good idea then put together a package, let some of the devs know, and it'll get tried out.

HANAX wrote:Are there any list of "software or ideas to be implemented"?

This is in alpha testing right now: http://community.linuxmint.com/index.php/auth/login

HANAX wrote:Who decides that this tool is really useful and good and can be integrated into distribution?

Clem has the final word on everything Mint. Certain specific tools are required for the community editions that aren't in the main edition so if you have an idea specific to a particular edition, contact the maintainer of that edition.

HANAX wrote:If I want to write something like another mint tool, who decides if it is "good idea" or "meets mint standards"... like language, code style or whatever...

Again, Clem will have the final say but it will be looked at and tested. Regarding coding, there's a whole lot of bash and python. If it's clean and readable, it should be ok.
Kendall
Level 7
Level 7

Postby HANAX on Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:23 pm

Thanx for reply.

Kendall wrote:
HANAX wrote:Are there any list of "software or ideas to be implemented"?

This is in alpha testing right now: http://community.linuxmint.com/index.php/auth/login

Yes, I am aware of that site, in fact I am active there, but last time I checked all ideas there should be about site alone, not about distribution. So there is no "TODO" or "WISH" list for MInt distribution at all waiting for developers?

Kendall wrote:
HANAX wrote:If I want to write something like another mint tool, who decides if it is "good idea" or "meets mint standards"... like language, code style or whatever...

Again, Clem will have the final say but it will be looked at and tested. Regarding coding, there's a whole lot of bash and python. If it's clean and readable, it should be ok.

I like mono, is it acceptable?
HANAX
HANAX
Level 1
Level 1

Postby emorrp1 on Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:36 pm

Hey guys, it's literally as simple as thinking of an idea, coding it and asking others what they think. I became involved by implementing SFTP support in mintUpload, I uploaded the modified tool and people thought it was good. If you can't think of any ideas, there are many on launchpad (https://blueprints.launchpad.net/linuxmint) and this forum (viewforum.php?f=29 and viewforum.php?f=146). Bugfixes are also helpful (viewforum.php?f=165 and https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint). If you'd like to modify a mintTool, then simply fork it on github (see also http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=970) commit your changes, and it'll show up on the network tab (you may need to issue a "pull request" to wake us up). The prefered tools are bash, python, gtk and git, which is therefore more likely to be accepted, but any code is better than no code. I'm planning on writing up a contributor's guide for mintUpload, but the wiki page should be enough to be getting on with (basically details good practice for git). If anyone wants to have a go at integrating Clem's Helena changes cleanly and modularly, I'd be most grateful, otherwise I'll get to it c. Feb. I hang around and log #mintUpload on IRC, so if you have any questions, just ask.
If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header
Hint - use a google search including the search term site:forums.linuxmint.com
emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Return to Code & Patches