SimpleUpdate

Contribute code & patches
Forum rules
No support questions here please

SimpleUpdate

Postby Acid_1 on Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:54 am

I have written, I guess you could call it that, a GUI for a simple updating app. Essentially it is the same as the previous topic, just now with a GUI which runs automatically, and keeps a log of the update that happened.

Please try this out and give me some feedback on what you think of it. My goal behind this project was I wanted to update my system on boot, but I was having trouble getting CLI apps to do that, so I decided to make a GUI app do that. So, it is in a .deb, but if you just want to run the source, make sure you have /usr/lib/simpleupdate an existing directory. I just recommend installing the .deb but w/e.

simpleupdate_1.1.3_all.tar.gz
MD5SUM:
fe6a1b61724db42ded8c0043be17de68
(2.88 KiB) Downloaded 159 times

simpleupdate_1.0.0_all.tar.gz
MD5SUM:
40e7adb4125e06da6c0534f740b8beb9
(2.84 KiB) Downloaded 124 times

And if you just want to see the source.

Code: Select all
#! /bin/sh
# Licensed under GPLv2
DATE=$(date +%y.%m.%d.%H.%M)
if ! $(zenity --question --width=400 --height=80 --window-icon=/usr/lib/simpleupdate/simpleupdate.png --title "SimpleUpdate" --text "Ok to update system?") ; then
   echo No ; else
   (apt-get update) | zenity --progress --pulsate --width=400 --height=80 --window-icon=/usr/lib/simpleupdate/simpleupdate.png --title "SimpleUpdate" --text "Updating repositories..." --auto-close
   apt-get dist-upgrade > /usr/lib/simpleupdate/log/$DATE.sup
   (echo fin) | zenity --text-info --title "SimpleUpdate - Info" --window-icon=/usr/lib/simpleupdate/simpleupdate.png --width=550 --filename=/usr/lib/simpleupdate/log/$DATE.sup
   (apt-get -q=9 dist-upgrade) | zenity --progress --pulsate --width=400 --height=80 --window-icon=/usr/lib/simpleupdate/simpleupdate.png --title "SimpleUpdate" --text "Performing dist upgrade..." --auto-close
   (apt-get autoclean
   apt-get clean
   apt-get autoremove
   rm -R /root/.local/share/Trash/files
   rm -R /home/*/.local/share/Trash/files) | zenity --progress --pulsate --width=400 --height=80 --window-icon=/usr/lib/simpleupdate/simpleupdate.png --title "SimpleUpdate" --text "Removing old and new downloaded archives,\nremoving old dependancies, removing root and user trash..." --auto-close
   if ! $(zenity --info --title "SimpleUpdate" --text "System Updated!\nView /usr/lib/simpleupdate/log/$DATE.sup for log.") ; then
      echo No ; else
      echo Finished
   fi
fi

Again, please tell me what you think of it. Thanks :)
Last edited by Acid_1 on Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Acid_1
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: SimpleUpdate

Postby Husse on Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:58 pm

I've moved the other topic out of sight
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Re: SimpleUpdate

Postby Acid_1 on Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:29 pm

Thanks Husse.
Acid_1
Level 5