Internet Connection Sharing

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Napi2003

Internet Connection Sharing

Post by Napi2003 »

Hello, everybody!

After reading most of the ethernet threads (90% of them still without a [solved] tag) I have a SIMPLE question that begs for a SIMPLE answer.

How can you do a supposedly easy Internet Network Sharing between two wired Ubuntu-based PCs?

I don't want theories, "my setup works flawlessly without knowing how", "that's odd, it should work because it should", and demands of cryptic system logs.

Under Windows 7 its just a matter of clicking your Wi-Fi adapter, your LAN port, selecting "bridge networks" and that its! Period. Your PC now shares the wireless signal to a laptop that Ubuntu refused to recognize its wireless adapter in the first place.

Why is it so hard and "generic" the "help" that I keep finding in google that it never lands on a much-needed step-by-step help to perform an otherwise simple setup.

Setting up Samba, converting your PC into a hardcore DHCP server, ip address memorization, then messing with a paranoid firewall... Its ridiculous! All in the search of maybe saving 1-2 bits/s of alleged bandwidth "efficiency". Meanwhile, you just wasted 2 whole hours of your life trying to find a SIMPLE setup and get on with your life. File sharing shouldn't be so tedious and frustrating.

This is 2012! Command-line cryptic instructions and setting-up dedicated servers belong to the 70s. Thank God.

No simple help, don't even bother writing it up. Don't want this thread to become another long and wasteful unanswered topic. Thanks for your time and understanding.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
oobetimer

Re: Internet Connection Sharing

Post by oobetimer »

NetworkManager -> IPV4 settings -> Shared to other computers

A video about sharing: http://www.youtub.com/watch?v=AoiTnRmO6QY&feature=plcp
DrM
Level 3
Level 3

Post by DrM »

oobetimer wrote:NetworkManager -> IPV4 settings -> Shared to other computers

A video about sharing: http://www.youtub.com/watch?v=AoiTnRmO6QY&feature=plcp
Setting up Internet Connection Sharing is very easy in Linux Mint, just like in Windows XP.
jahid

Post by jahid »

you can see this. though it explains a way to share internet from linux to windows, it will work for linux-linux too.
it uses a proxy server software squid3 like ccproxy in windows without any gui.
daveinuk
Level 7
Level 7

Post by daveinuk »

Napi2003 wrote:
This is 2012!
Another few weeks and this thread will be celebrating its 2nd birthday :roll:
jahid

Post by jahid »

this was posted on Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:06 am!!!!!!!!!
how come, this is in the new post list? :lol:
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

I wouldn't even bother trying that method, it will need port forwarding from the Linux machine (-->to windows, which does use that method ICS, to provide an always on PC that shares its connection with other machines in the home LAN (network)
  • --the same idea apples to an always on shared printer (rather than a print server)
    All use a workstation, a PC which must be availle to other users, and properly connected to the device to be shared (netwaor/router or other..
Most people these days don't need to make use of a computer to share devices, they can use independt devicess (routers, media staorage(hard drives) or scanners etc, that any user within that LAN(network) can connect to

I personally would use a router attaced to an EWthernet switch( to which every computer in the LAN is connected toand the router's ISP (internet connection is avalble to that Ethernet switch..

And research howtos on LANs..
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2375207,00.asp
http://computer.howstuffworks.com/home-network.htm
jahid

Post by jahid »

@DrHu
having a router can make life easier, but that's not always available. sometimes we students need to make a pc into working router. :mrgreen:

Return to “Networking”