Not able to connect at all (169.xxx.xx.x ip address) solved

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dredgman

Not able to connect at all (169.xxx.xx.x ip address) solved

Post by dredgman »

Hello, I'm dual booting Vista and Daryna KDE. My ethernet cable works perfectly fine, as I connect effortlessly on Windows Vista. This really isn't my platform of choice, as you can assume, so I've got a problem. My ethernet was made by Realtek. I've looked around on the internet and so far tried something along the lines of forcedeth, as well enabling lan boot rom in the bios. Still, none of these have worked. The ip address that it finds through DHCP is a 169 address and I've read that this for some reason means my computer is not requesting an address?

If you can't help with that, I've also got an Asus WL-167g USB WLAN adapter. This seems to connect fine, but randomly disconnects, and I have to go through the motions of unplugging and plugging it in until it decides to connect to the internet again. If you can solve either problem, I'll be a happy man and thank you appreciably.

EDIT: I downloaded Netwox to try to resolve the wired ethernet issue, but still am not have any luck. Ideas?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Not able to connect at all (169.xxx.xx.x ip address)

Post by Husse »

If you get an address in the 169 range you do indeed have a problem with DHCP (I've had it happen in Windows many times)
This is the router and the computer "disagreeing"
You may have to restart networking. Unfortunately the networking restart command does not work in Daryna but Right click "Network manager" and untick Activate network, wait a few seconds and tick it again. This restarts networking and you should get an IP now
For wireless there's the wiki
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php/MintWifi
If you need more help please include
which networking chips you have - if nothing else you can get that info from "lspci"
Which router
and any particular settings
dredgman

Post by dredgman »

I tried disabling and re-enabling, but I still get a 169 address.

Here's from lspci:

Code: Select all

02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 02)
Also, my router is by 2wire, but there are not any encryption settings.

Thanks.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Although this is for XP I think it can work for you
http://www.phoronix.com/blogs/david/?k=blog&i=60
dredgman

Post by dredgman »

Husse wrote:Although this is for XP I think it can work for you
http://www.phoronix.com/blogs/david/?k=blog&i=60
Thanks, but I already found that website. It didn't work. The only thing, though, I can't find a WOL S4 setting in my bios. Not sure if that would make a difference
Husse

Post by Husse »

The only thing, though, I can't find a WOL S4 setting in my bios. Not sure if that would make a difference
Most likely not - settings for WOL are not that good in many a BIOS
I can't understand what your problem is. If you don't have a internet connection, you can end up with a nonsense IP in the 169 range (and some other I think)
There could be some setting somewhere that "plays" with you
Have to sleep on this one :)
dredgman

Post by dredgman »

Thanks for your help so far. My wireless seems to be working 'ok' right now, but I'd really like to get the wired connection working for reliability and to free up a usb port.

Let me know if you think of anything else.
dredgman

Post by dredgman »

Switched to Xubuntu and am no longer having the problem.

I've still got Mint on my laptop, though :D
Husse

Post by Husse »

Glad you have it solved, but I'd of course prefer a solution in Mint :mrgreen:

Return to “Networking”