Ready to go back to windows...

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Network OOO

Ready to go back to windows...

Post by Network OOO »

Hello,

I tried to install a VPN connexion on my PC (needed to work).

Used this :
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VPNClient
and That :
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... vpn#p62518

And never had the "VPN" on my network icon...
Tried after to install several packages that seems to be for VPN, still no VPN accès but now no internet accès !!

I Ping google, so my dns and internet accès is right, but no firefox, no ftp connexion with my usual client...

I rebboted and now, since 10 minutes is making a filecheck !

To be honnest, if I don't find a way to have it before tomorrow, I will spend my sunday to install windows again (I use linux since 3 mounth now).
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Network OOO

Re: Ready to go back to windows...

Post by Network OOO »

Next step : if I use a fix IP adress, I've got no ping (network unreachable). I must be in automatic mode (itinerant in frech, not sure of english term, the box to clic on top of network configuration), and still have no internet acces via FF or KFTP.

I'm using my old Windows PC to post here....

Is there a way to restore network configuration via liveCD ?

Wil anyone help me to stay in lunux world ?
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lakehousetech »

Don't give up! You can figure it out! Can you give me some specific details about your hardware, and exactly how your trying to set up VPN? I'll see what I can do. In the worst case, you can always re-install Windows, but partition your drive so you can also install Mint as a dual boot. That way you can learn while being able to fall back on Windows when necessary.
network OOO

Post by network OOO »

I tried to install VPNC, and all add-ons mentionned in the link I put in my first post.
As it didn't work, I installed all I found with VPN in name when I search in packages.

I uninstalled most of them (not sure off all) when network didn't work at all, and since, my network works, but no internet access as I said.

Before this, all worked fine.

My network card is a 88E80456 PCI-E from marvell technology it seems.

Is there a way to restore default settings, with liveCD for exemple ?
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lakehousetech »

If you have your home folder installed on it's own partition you can re-install Mint over the original install and that will default everything again.

You were able to ping google, but can't surf via firefox....hmmm. Is your IP address a valid address from your dhcp settings? Have you configured network manager for accepting DHCP connections?
Network OOO

Post by Network OOO »

My IP adress is given by DHCP.
Network OOO

Post by Network OOO »

SO, I launched the install from liveCD. I hope I will loose nothing (my home directoy is on another partition of the disk.

How will it work for other users ?

What will I have to do to have their user anable (just recreate same name or anything else) ?
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lakehousetech »

Creating a new user? You should not have any problems with adding with the new login app under the mint menu.
network OOO

Post by network OOO »

So, all is working fine now, I still use Mint...

Could anyone help me to install a VPN ?

Last time I tried, I broke everithing...

I use a fix IP adress, and when I do what is mentionned in the links in my first post, I still don't have the VPN config in network utilities icon...
rec9140

Post by rec9140 »

More info on the type of VPN your setting up?

Example:

In that W OS are you using a Cisco Client? Some other client? Be specific on how you connect in W os so that the equivalent Linux can be located.

Type of security, routers on the receiving end (work) if possible, you may or may not know about this, thats why we need to know the client your using in W os.

Type of router, internet connection, on the transmit end (YOUR)

Example: Netgear WGR615V router, with Cable 7M/512K

What version of Linux Mint? Example

Linux Mint KDE CE DVD
Linux Mint KDE CE Lite Edition CD

Other?
Network OOO

Post by Network OOO »

I use mint Daryna, standard (just installed from ISO).

My VPN is one over Internet. On windows, I connect via the network manager (create a new connexion -> VPN), type vpn.XXX.com to accès, and login/password when I clic on connect. I can use Cisco VPN client too I know, but I never used it because it works fine with basic windows VPN config.

Return to “Networking”