32bit Internet works. 64bit Internet does not work.

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wkrause

32bit Internet works. 64bit Internet does not work.

Post by wkrause »

Hello,

I am using Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon edition. For some reason both ethernet and wifi work flawlessly in the 32 bit installation. However when I tried installing the 64bit edition neither connection method works. I need to use the computer for data processing in R, so the 32bit limit on ram means I really need a working 64 bit installation.

Initially I thought the problem may lie with my drivers. Again, the default settings in the 32bit install work perfectly. However, I did successfully replace the rtl8169 driver with the rtl8168 driver, so as to eliminate that as a possible problem. The rtl8168 is listedas active when I run lspci -v.

My motherboard is GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
My processor is the AMD FX-8350

I am new to linux and would appreciate any guidance as to why I am able to connect to the internet on a 32bit installation but not 64bit.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Samsquanch

Re: 32bit Internet works. 64bit Internet does not work.

Post by Samsquanch »

I have a similar issue. Installed Mint 14 64 bit on a new system with a Gigabyte 970A board, Realtec network on board, and it will not connect at all. I have seen some post from past issues with this, but they all seem to be in previous kernels and previous versions of the Realtek driver. I saw a post that says the stock driver issue was fixed in the new kernel version 3.2.0-17-generic, but I am still having issues. I tried all of the past fixes I could find but notthing seems to be working. I booted the new system to the 32-bit / Mint 13 drive that I have, and the network card connects and transfers fast with no problems. It is using the kernel driver and kernel module r8169, which in the past was the problem, but seems to be working in the 32-bit install. Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks!
Samsquanch

Post by Samsquanch »

I found the fix for this issue in searching for a fix for another issue. There is a setting in the Gigabyte BIOS called IOMMU. If you enable this, the network interface works properly. This setting being disabled by deafult, was also killing all of my USB 2.0 ports on the mother board. As far as the NIC goes, I still downloaded the latest Realtek driver and installed it. I don't know if I needed to, but it still works. I saw alot of people saying they had issues with the network dropping off occasionally, so I did the driver install. Hopefully, this helps your situation.
dconn

Post by dconn »

*** THANK YOU ***

I ran into the same problem with the Mint 15 x64 Cinnamon Live CD.
For the record, I have a GIGABYTE GA-970A-UD3 AM3+ motherboard.

Enter the BIOS, set Peripherals->IOMMU Controller to "Enabled" and boot the Live CD. I did not have to change the driver.

Thank you again.

Dave
Doruletz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Doruletz »

*******************************************************************************************************************************
First of all, let me say that I can never understand the need for Wi-Fi on a desktop PC.
The wired LAN (Ethernet) is not only much faster than Wi-Fi, but also much more reliable.
The only reason for needing Wi-Fi in a desktop PC is if you cannot physically connect your computer via an RJ-45 Ethernet cable, due to its location inside your home or office.
*******************************************************************************************************************************

As far as 32bit and 64bit....
Only Windows has a RAM handicap in the 32bit version.
All Linux Distros, Linux Mint included, at least from Mint 13 on up, have included the PAE (Physical Address Extension) in the Linux kernel.
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_Address_Extension[/url]
This allows using up to 64GB of RAM in the 32bit version of any Linux OS:
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_Address_Extension#Linux[/url]

For example, I'm using 16GB of RAM in Linux Mint 9, 10, 11, 13 and 14, all under 32bit version. (you have to install the PAE for all versions lower than Mint 13).
Linux Mint is my preferred and main operating system on all of my desktop PCs and laptops.
Specs for the machine I'm on now:
CPU: AMD FX-8120 - octacore Bulldozer (8 cores @3.1GHz each)
MOBO: ASRock Fatal1ty Professional, socket AM3+, chipset 990FX
PSU: 880W Cool Power Gamer Series power supply
RAM: Total of 16GB (four x 4GB) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series, DDR3 1600Mhz
GPU: ZOTAC GeForce GTX560 Ti, 1GB GDDR5
SSD: One 60GB and one 120GB OCZ Agility 3 - SATA III (6.0Gb/s) Solid State Drives - for OS installs, see bellow.
HDD: One 1TB and one 2TB Seagate Barracuda, 7200rpm, SATA III 6.0Gb/s) - for data file storage
One 2GB USB 2.0 flash drive mounted internally, used for Linux SWAP space
Generic DVD Writer drive (which I almost never use)
Multi memory card reader, came with the PC Case.
PC CASE: RED Sentey Arvina Extreme Division Tower Case 6x Fan LED/ 4 x USB / Multi Card Reader / 4 x Fan Control / E-SATA / 6 x Removable Aluminum Bays / Screwless
Monitor: Acer 27 inch - Full HD 1080p (1920x1080) LED backlit LCD
Main OS: Linux Mint 9 Isadora, Gnome 2.30.2 - 32bit, kernel 2.6.38-16-generic-pae running off the 60GB SSD
YES, I know it's old, but I love Gnome2, the new Gnome 3 sucks big time and MATE is still not perfect.
Secondary OS (which I rarely even use, but it's there): Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit running off the 120GB SSD
What do I think about Window$??? Just take a look at my AVATAR...

Return to “Networking”