Network connection to Linux Machine

Questions about cabled networking
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Network connection to Linux Machine

Postby Fornhamfred on Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:36 am

I have three machines on a network, LMDE Mate, PcLinuxOS Gnome and Windows XP. On both the PcLinux and XP machines I can see all the machines on the network and can access all the shares but on Mint I can see and access the XP machine thro smb but when I click the PcLinux machine icon in network it returns Unable to mount location Failed to retrieve share list from server. I have been able to connect to the machine using smb and the ip address but is this the correct method. I note that on the Pclinux machine the connection to Mint is not through smb but network:///
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Network connection to Linux Machine

Postby altair4 on Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:38 am

You might want to go through the checklist:
Samba Browsing Problems Checklist: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=88146&start=0

If you have further issues post the output of the following command:
Code: Select all
smbtree
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
altair4
Level 16
Level 16

Postby Fornhamfred on Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:47 pm

Thanks as usual for your networking help.

I checked all your list and apart from nmap all was as listed. I installed nmap and although I got no output in a terminal when running it.

I did try smbtree but again got no output in LMDE but in Pclinux got the following:

Server requested LANMAN password (share-level security) but 'client lanman auth' is disabled
failed tcon_X with NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
Server requested LANMAN password (share-level security) but 'client lanman auth' is disabled
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Postby altair4 on Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:22 pm

** There is always an output to nmap even if it just gives you a "host seems down" error.

** You didn't specify which machine smbtree was referencing when you got this error in PCLinuxOS:

If it's PCLinuxOS itself then I can't help you with that. Samba should be samba but with PCLOS ......

If it's the LMDE it's referencing it's likely you have a "encrypt passwords = No" in your smb.conf. If you post the output of this command we can verify if your LMDE smb.conf file has any errors:
Code: Select all
testparm -s

** You might want to make sure all these adjustments are made since LMDE's samba isn't configured correctly on install: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=23169&p=315218#p315218

Side question
: PCLOS always likes to go down a path less traveled but would you happen to know if avahi is installed and running on that system? In Debian/Ubuntu/Mint it's the avahi-daemon service. The reason I ask is because Avahi + Samba is a lot easier that Samba alone.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
altair4
Level 16
Level 16

Postby Fornhamfred on Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:24 pm

Thanks for your suggestions. After reading your previous post I checked whether I had set static IP addresses on the two linux machines ( XP i knew had a static IP)
and I found that I had not. I have now assigned the static IPs and all the machines are talking to each other.

Out of interest Avahi is installed on both PcLinux and LMDE.
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Ethernet