Network connection to Linux Machine

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Network connection to Linux Machine

Post by Fornhamfred »

I have three machines on a network, LMDE Mate, PcLinuxOS Gnome and Windows XP. On both the PcLinux and XP machines I can see all the machines on the network and can access all the shares but on Mint I can see and access the XP machine thro smb but when I click the PcLinux machine icon in network it returns Unable to mount location Failed to retrieve share list from server. I have been able to connect to the machine using smb and the ip address but is this the correct method. I note that on the Pclinux machine the connection to Mint is not through smb but network:///
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Network connection to Linux Machine

Post by altair4 »

You might want to go through the checklist:
Samba Browsing Problems Checklist: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 46&start=0

If you have further issues post the output of the following command:

Code: Select all

smbtree
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Fornhamfred »

Thanks as usual for your networking help.

I checked all your list and apart from nmap all was as listed. I installed nmap and although I got no output in a terminal when running it.

I did try smbtree but again got no output in LMDE but in Pclinux got the following:

Server requested LANMAN password (share-level security) but 'client lanman auth' is disabled
failed tcon_X with NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
Server requested LANMAN password (share-level security) but 'client lanman auth' is disabled
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

** There is always an output to nmap even if it just gives you a "host seems down" error.

** You didn't specify which machine smbtree was referencing when you got this error in PCLinuxOS:
If it's PCLinuxOS itself then I can't help you with that. Samba should be samba but with PCLOS ......

If it's the LMDE it's referencing it's likely you have a "encrypt passwords = No" in your smb.conf. If you post the output of this command we can verify if your LMDE smb.conf file has any errors:

Code: Select all

testparm -s
** You might want to make sure all these adjustments are made since LMDE's samba isn't configured correctly on install: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 18#p315218

Side question
: PCLOS always likes to go down a path less traveled but would you happen to know if avahi is installed and running on that system? In Debian/Ubuntu/Mint it's the avahi-daemon service. The reason I ask is because Avahi + Samba is a lot easier that Samba alone.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Fornhamfred »

Thanks for your suggestions. After reading your previous post I checked whether I had set static IP addresses on the two linux machines ( XP i knew had a static IP)
and I found that I had not. I have now assigned the static IPs and all the machines are talking to each other.

Out of interest Avahi is installed on both PcLinux and LMDE.

Return to “Networking”