Network problem handling large quantity of files.

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Daniboy

Network problem handling large quantity of files.

Post by Daniboy »

Hello,

I have a problem with the network, of my Linux Mint 14 MATE 64bits. (I had the same problem with Ubuntu 12.10 and I didn´t find a solution)

Scenario:
I have 3 computers on a Gigabit ethernet network (ALL the adapters and switches support Gigabit Ethernet).
Two machines with Linux Mint 14 and one with Windows XP Pro.
The problem occurs when I try to copy / move a large amount (like over 1GB) of files from my Linux machines to my Windows machine. (Never tried form Linux to Linux because I need to get the files in the Windows machine).

The transfer starts without problem but randomly it froze up and the only way to resume the transfer is to reboot the system and re-start the transfer.

Is there any way to solve this?
Thanks in advance!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
z120pi

Re: Network problem handling large quantity of files.

Post by z120pi »

I have had a similar problem with Mint 14 running both Mate and Xfce desktops. A file transfer from my Windows machine would stall on multiple file transfers. A single huge file transfers fine and multiple files transfer if I initiate the transfer from Windows. I developed a work-around script that mounts my Windows share using cifs, which allows me to transfer multiple files without any problems. I have no idea why the network stalls when using the Mate or Xfce file managers. Here is my script to access my Lenovo-Y580 HOME workgroup in the /mnt directory. It requires that cifs be installed in order to work.

Code: Select all

# mount user eric on Y580
export SUDO_ASKPASS=/usr/lib/openssh/gnome-ssh-askpass
sudo -A mount -t cifs //Lenovo-Y580/eric /mnt -o username=HOME/eric,password=******
#
# show mounted file system in file manager
Thunar /mnt

Return to “Networking”