How to replace windows 7 server with Linux Mint?

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Brahim Salem

How to replace windows 7 server with Linux Mint?

Post by Brahim Salem »

I have 15 computers runnig Linux Mint 13 Mate and connected to a Windows 7 server with no issues. On the server I dual-boot Linux Mint and Windows 7 (Which I found preconfigured as a server at my new workplace). When i try to connect to the internet with Mint on the server I can't but I still can do that with Windows 7. I want to remove Windows 7 and replace it with Mint what should I configure to achieve the same results I do with Windows 7 on Linux Mint. I mean how can I replace windows 7 server with Mint, how can I connect to the Ethernet hub on the wall and share connection?

BTW what is the name of that big box on the wall with many routers, switchers and hubs ? Is it a Console Serial Port Switch or simply Network switch?:lol: :lol:

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 9 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Brahim Salem

Re:How to replace windows 7 server with Linux Mint?

Post by Brahim Salem »

I want to do something like this below, but I don't have a router and I think the windows 7 computer is acting like a router and that's all greek to me:

Last edited by Brahim Salem on Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:24 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

the ministry of education has installed a Linux server on the Windows 7 server and it looks like a terminal that i couldnt know its name! how can I copy the configuration fro it to Lnux Mint because I want to run Mint on it?

PS: How can i detect the name of the Linux server they've installed?
Last edited by Brahim Salem on Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

following this tutorial https://help.ubuntu.com/12.04/serverguide/dhcp.html, when I run

Code: Select all

sudo /etc/init.d/isc-dhcp-server restart
I get:

mint@mint-HP-Compaq-dx2420-Microtower:~$ sudo /etc/init.d/isc-dhcp-server restart
[sudo] password for mint: 
Rather than invoking init scripts through /etc/init.d, use the service(8)
utility, e.g. service isc-dhcp-server restart

Since the script you are attempting to invoke has been converted to an
Upstart job, you may also use the stop(8) and then start(8) utilities,
e.g. stop isc-dhcp-server ; start isc-dhcp-server. The restart(8) utility is also available.
isc-dhcp-server start/running, process 3340
mint@mint-HP-Compaq-dx2420-Microtower:~$ 

does that mean my network cards are configured properly and I can connect the server to the internet?

edit: and following this http://askubuntu.com/questions/140126/h ... hcp-server I got the same results:

mint@mint-HP-Compaq-dx2420-Microtower:~$ sudo service isc-dhcp-server restart
stop: Unknown instance: 
isc-dhcp-server start/running, process 3547
mint@mint-HP-Compaq-dx2420-Microtower:~$ sudo netstat -uap
Active Internet connections (servers and established)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State       PID/Program name
udp        0      0 localhost:domain        *:*                                 1472/dnsmasq    
udp        0      0 *:bootpc                *:*                                 1195/dhclient   
udp        0      0 *:57454                 *:*                                 898/avahi-daemon: r
udp        0      0 *:mdns                  *:*                                 898/avahi-daemon: r
udp6       0      0 [::]:mdns               [::]:*                              898/avahi-daemon: r
udp6       0      0 [::]:54186              [::]:*                              898/avahi-daemon: r
now I want to know whether my two cards are functioning properly and whether I need to configure the clients too :D
Last edited by Brahim Salem on Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

help :roll:
Brahim Salem

Re: How to replace windows 7 server with Linux Mint?

Post by Brahim Salem »

where are you guys :D
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

where are you guys :D
Previous1

Post by Previous1 »

Why do you want Linux Mint/Ubuntu as a server? Debian (Stable) is better suited to that purpose; it has more frequent updates to server-specific packages, for example.
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

Previous1 wrote:Why do you want Linux Mint/Ubuntu as a server? Debian (Stable) is better suited to that purpose; it has more frequent updates to server-specific packages, for example.
I'm kinda used to Mint but is debian easier to configure? :D I'm stuck and i don't know where to start?
mintybits

Post by mintybits »

You are running Ubuntu 12.04 server?

I think you need to set up both a dhcp server and a router function.
You can test your dhcp by seeing whether any of the clients have IP addresses using the ifconfig command.
Get this working first.

The router function will require IP forwarding to be enabled in the kernel and masquerading of forwarded packets. I can't give you details at the moment but this is what you need to Google for. There are lots of Linux router tutorials.
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

mintybits wrote:You are running Ubuntu 12.04 server?

I think you need to set up both a dhcp server and a router function.
You can test your dhcp by seeing whether any of the clients have IP addresses using the ifconfig command.
Get this working first.

The router function will require IP forwarding to be enabled in the kernel and masquerading of forwarded packets. I can't give you details at the moment but this is what you need to Google for. There are lots of Linux router tutorials.

I want to install Linux Mint or debian on it but for now it runs a Linux with no graphic interface :D But what about the two network cards: PCI and the other one that show on the network manager?

Doing researches about setting up a dhcp server and a router function :D I think "router function" iis the key :D
pettijohne

Re: Re:How to replace windows 7 server with Linux Mint?

Post by pettijohne »

[quote="Zorba"]following this tutorial https://help.ubuntu.com/12.04/serverguide/dhcp.html, when I run

sudo /etc/init.d/isc-dhcp-server restart
I get:

mint@mint-HP-Compaq-dx2420-Microtower:~$ sudo /etc/init.d/isc-dhcp-server restart
Rather than invoking init scripts through /etc/init.d, use the service(8)
utility, e.g. service isc-dhcp-server restart

Since the script you are attempting to invoke has been converted to an
Upstart job, you may also use the stop(8) and then start(8) utilities,
e.g. stop isc-dhcp-server ; start isc-dhcp-server. The restart(8) utility is also available.
isc-dhcp-server start/running, process 3340
it means to try something along the lines of "sudo service dhcp-server start" use --help or "man service" to find out more options.

I think you should be more specific as to what "type" of server this is. Then look at what you need to accomplish those goals. For example a web server would most likely want apache on there. A mysql server would need mysqld, so on so forth, and then probably remove this post and post it in the "other networking topics" board.
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

I'm not really sure about it's name. what i wanna do is establish a network connection on one computer using a switch and a modem and share connection with other computers. the problem is that i cannot replace windows 7 with linux mint because i am unable to connect to the network when i replace 7 with Linux.
kwisher

Post by kwisher »

I would suggest using CLearOS as it can be setup as your router/firewall plus also has file sharing services.
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

kwisher wrote:I would suggest using CLearOS as it can be setup as your router/firewall plus also has file sharing services.
is it easy to configure?
kwisher

Post by kwisher »

Zorba wrote:
kwisher wrote:I would suggest using CLearOS as it can be setup as your router/firewall plus also has file sharing services.
is it easy to configure?
It's pretty easy and it would also be faster than using Mint.
tadaensylvermane
Level 2
Level 2

Post by tadaensylvermane »

Virtualize it. Just run a VM of a router of some sort, PFSense comes to mind although I don't know how big scale it can go. But don't use Mint for a server with that kind of workload, thats just asking for trouble. Debian stable, centos way better choices.

Return to “Networking”