DSL connection will not load every website

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dusklog

DSL connection will not load every website

Post by dusklog »

I have done a lot of searching/troubleshooting inside and out of this forum with no solution to my problem.
I am using a Lenovo Thinkpad R400 running Linux Mint 15 (32 bit cinnamon) with a DSL connection.
When browsing I am unable to load every website. Google and most other websites will work but sites like soundcloud and deviantart will not load.
I am currently using Ubuntu 12.04 and Windows 7 without this issue.
I thought it was an issue with running Linux Mint on a flash drive but the problem continued after a full install.
This is a problem with Linux Mint 14 as well but Linux Mint 13 can load every site fine.
I've tried Google Public DNS an OpenDNS but to no avail.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Re: DSL connection will not load every website

Post by TBABill »

Only a couple things come to mind. Does this happen with Firefox, Chrome, Chromium, etc? And do you have any extensions active such as AdBlock or others that could be preventing the site from loading? Sometimes I have to allow exceptions just to get a page to load when running AdBlock.
dusklog

Post by dusklog »

Yes, this happens in all of those browsers and Opera as well. I'm not using any extensions.
I've also tested out Ubuntu 13.04 and this same problem happens.
Websites load fine with Linux Mint 13 and Ubuntu 12.04, so I'm quite confused.
I would really like to use Linux Mint 15. Any more ideas? I'm just baffled.
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill »

Are you also having the problem on both wireless and Ethernet? Or do you have the ability to test both ways? And do you have another machine in the house running Mint 12 or another version (or even Ubuntu or Debian) that is working so you can go through all DNS, networking and other settings? There has to be something that, by default, is set in some way that your machine does not like. Or even something in the driver if it's wireless?

Grasping at straws because from one version to another should not ever cause this, and it's more troubling that Ubuntu 13.04 works fine but Mint 15 does not.
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill »

And have you tried to determine if it's a Java issue? Wondering if a corrupted java configuration on your machine could cause only those sites engaging Java to not load?
dusklog

Post by dusklog »

I am only using an Ethernet connection. I don't have a wireless router right now.
I have another machine that is running Linux Mint 13 and all websites load fine. I have tried to install Mint 14 and 15 on that same machine without changing any settings whatsoever and it has this issue. Do you think the default Network settings for Wired Network changed after Mint 13?

Also, Ubuntu 13.04 does not work fine and is not loading every website in the same way as Mint 14 and 15.

I have checked my Java version and its the default. It did not report any sort of error. How do I check for a corrupted Java configuration?

Thank you so much for helping me!
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill »

I don't think it would be Java related since it affects so many versions. I mistakenly thought you had said 13.04 worked so I was a bit puzzled, but that makes me think Ubuntu changed something in a configuration from one version to the next and Mint is just carrying the flaw over as well. If you have a 12.04, which works incredibly well on all machines I've tried, and you can compare settings to 13.04, perhaps something will be found that is different in terms of networking.

It's difficult to imagine the problem because it only includes some websites while others work fine. I can't reason out whether it could be DNS related, software, driver or what and since I can't duplicate the problem I'm of little help.
jero25

Post by jero25 »

Even I use DSL connection in Linux Mint 15 and I face similar problem .

[url]http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=150&t=148462[/url]
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

jero25 wrote:Even I use DSL connection in Linux Mint 15 and I face similar problem .

[url]http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=150&t=148462[/url]
It seems like the common denominator could be DSL here :?
fr3n

Post by fr3n »

i have same problem before, when i use linux mint cinnamon. but when i use mate the problem like never happen... dont know why..
jero25

Post by jero25 »

There is some issue with Linux based operating system connected with DSL connection . First I was using Linux Mint 16 Petra in that if I use DSL connection to connect internet I faced problem in webpage loading , in daily use I noticed many websites where not load . I tried to fix it but can't fix it . So I tried some other Linux distribution but all the following distributions had the same problem .

They are ,
- Fedora
- Linuxmint 14.1 Cinnamon
- Linuxmint 15 Cinnamon
- Linuxmint 16 Cinnamon
- Linuxmint 16 Mate
- Ubuntu 13.10

Then I tried Linux Mint Cinnamon Debian Testing with this distribution DSL connection works fine . Now I have no issue in page loading .

Return to “Networking”