Verison Fios support?

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jsplicer

Verison Fios support?

Post by jsplicer »

Has anyone heard of any problems or are using Versizon FIOS on LM15? They claim to support only Mac and Windows but so did Time Warner.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DavePlummer

Re: Verison Fios support?

Post by DavePlummer »

I have FIOS Internet service. I run two Linux Mint 15 machines, one Ubuntu Server, one HP Photosmart wireless printer/scanner, and one Samsung Smart TV, plus various Apple devices when my sons come to visit. No problems at all. The router that Verizon provides is easy to set up and manage.
jsplicer

Re: Verison Fios support?

Post by jsplicer »

Dave, Thank You so much for the response!!!. Getting a new installation is like moving, very nerve racking I've been with Time Warner for 25 years. A lot of junk to move and furniture to get out of the way.

My concern was that so many people told me I need either windows or a Mac install to activate the ethernet line.. I have neither I used to run Macs till they got too expensive so I've been using homebuilt computers with linux versions on it. I have now a wireless router from Belkin that supports WPA2 encryption, the kids drive around here and try to break into peoples networks. I realize anyones network can get broken into eventually but I try to make it as hard as possible so they will get frustrated and go somewhere else so I use a 63 character key made up of upper and lowercase plus special character keys, and I was worried I would not be able to do that with a Verizon router. I also change my phone password every month. I'm like you I have another TV wirelessly hooked up and a roku box on another,plus my phone, the computer stays hardwired.

Just knowing that I will be able to make my own adjustments to the firewall really took a load off my mind I'll be able to sleep tonight. I clone all the M.A.C addresses, disable UPNP, no guest access, anything to try to keep them out.

Thank You so much for your response !

Sincerely,

John

PS Linux Mint 15 is the most stable OS I ever ran, and that goes way back to Mac OS 7.5 Never was a Windows Man tried Win 98 years ago and threw it in the garbage.

Return to “Networking”