RESOLVED Frontier DSL I have a connection but can't use it.

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ebere
Level 3
Level 3

RESOLVED Frontier DSL I have a connection but can't use it.

Post by Ebere »

Ok, this is going to be a long one. Get a cup of coffee, and get comfortable.

I have had Frontier DSL service for a couple of years now.

The modem I was given by them would not connect from Linux Mint because of something called the walled garden. Once I found out how to bypass that, I got online, and I have had a very good experience since then.

That modem is a westell model 7500.

Until last sunday night. A thunderstorm came through here, and lightning literally came through the window and hit my modem, as I watched. Wouldn't have believed it, had I not seen it with my own eyes.

Fried the modem of course. Why it didn't fry me, and my computer, and a monitor and a TV, and a DVD player... all sitting within 4 feet in a circumference near it... I have NO idea. God was watching over me, is all I can figure.

Anyway...

I called them right away, and they said I would have a replacement by monday. I never recieved the replacement until this evening. Now I have tried hooking it up, and cannot get online with it.

It is a netgear model 7550. Looks identical to the westell 7500, but updated. Has a USB port, for instance.

This will hook up just fine. It goes through the setup just fine. Except that it does not have the option to turn off the walled garden. So, it goes through the setup, right up to the point where it tries to connect to the frontier site... And then it cannot connect.

If you look at the modem, all the correct lights are on.

If you look at the connection, it says it is connected and good to go.

But it will not actually connect to anything. I don't care what you try to connect to, frontier, google, mint, whatever... it cannot find the server.

I am assuming that this is something to do with the missing 'walled garden' disable.

Does anyone know what that actually WAS, and how I can disable it if the router is not giving me the option?

Or maybe someone knows how to bypass all that and still use the router and get a connection???
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do absolutely nothing for him in return." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)
kukamuumuka

Re: Frontier DSL I have a connection but can't use it.

Post by kukamuumuka »

Missing DNS-settings. Make a /etc/resolv.conf file an re-start networking. An example DNS-settings with Google' s public DNS

Code: Select all

nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 8.8.4.4
### if you want to write-protect this file, run sudo chattr +i /etc/resolv.conf
https://developers.google.com/speed/pub ... docs/using
Last edited by kukamuumuka on Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ebere
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Frontier DSL I have a connection but can't use it.

Post by Ebere »

DNS settings were fine.

However, I have to say, since I messed with them, my connection is now slower to find a site. LOL

~~~~~~~

For anyone else who gets the new modem...

Frontier will tell you that there is no way to make this modem work in Linux.

Nor will they help you to make your own modem work.

As long as you are using Linux, you are persona-non-grata to Frontier.

They will also tell you that there is no longer a "Walled Garden".

Lies.

Connect your modem as per the instructions.

Let it go through the installation as usual.

At the point where it says installation is complete and it wants to take you to their website... (It asks you to click "next".) If you just let that go through, it will never find the website.

When the installation is finished, do not hit that "next" button. Instead... cancel.

You have to go through the above steps. Just going to the following address without having done so, got me nowhere.

Once you have cancelled, you will now be able to get to the walled garden. Go to: 192.168.254.254/redirect.asp

Then disable the walled garden.

You should be able to get online normally, after that.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do absolutely nothing for him in return." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

Return to “Networking”