linux + Windows server

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
miket

Re: linux + Windows server

Post by miket »

Hi !
Fool wrote:I've searched this everywhere, reinstalled samba, reconfigure it, and i cant get it to work. Hope someone can help me.
I have a home Windows network with 2 windows PCs and a Windows 2003 server. I can access the normal Windows PCs fine with my Mint laptop. I can even see the windows server, but when I click on the widows server, it does not ask me for a user or a password. When it opens it shows a blank folder, with no shares what so ever...

Tks for your time....
There is an easy solution to this, install smb4k :)
Open a terminal under Linux Mint and enter the following command :

Code: Select all

apt-get install smb4k
Once you've done this, start smb4k from the main menu and you will be on your way !

Enjoy ...

Mike.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
miket

Post by miket »

Hi !
Fool wrote:Thank you a lot!!! it works... dont mean to be picky, but can you explain why it didnt work through the networks?
Smb4k is a lot more mature than the "Networks" facility in Gnome which is still in it's infancy ;)
It will catch up ... eventually ;)

Mike.
Vandread

Post by Vandread »

AvanceIT wrote:Hi !
Fool wrote:I've searched this everywhere, reinstalled samba, reconfigure it, and i cant get it to work. Hope someone can help me.
I have a home Windows network with 2 windows PCs and a Windows 2003 server. I can access the normal Windows PCs fine with my Mint laptop. I can even see the windows server, but when I click on the widows server, it does not ask me for a user or a password. When it opens it shows a blank folder, with no shares what so ever...

Tks for your time....
There is an easy solution to this, install smb4k :)
Open a terminal under Linux Mint and enter the following command :

Code: Select all

apt-get install smb4k
Once you've done this, start smb4k from the main menu and you will be on your way !

Enjoy ...

Mike.

I just wanted to post and say thank you. I have been thru about 3 different linux distro (ubuntu, fedora, mint) and could never get my laptop to see my vista or hpmediavault for over 2-3 months. I have been to forums, read tons of documentation and followed them perfectly but it still would not connect. Cannot believe all I did was try this and it works perfectly. This was a problem I needed fixed urgently because my wife is in her final year of college and I got her an aspire one laptop and put Linux Mint on it for her. She needed access to the NAS so she could save her school work and work documents/projects on when she comes home. I just knew there had to be an easier way to get this working and you proved that. Sorry for rambling, but thank you.
qbicdesign

Post by qbicdesign »

is this solution only for Mint KDE... ?
or can i install smb4k without installing KDE too?
tried, but smb4k isn't in main menu
qbicdesign

Post by qbicdesign »

ok - seems to be working fine.
TIP - I used synaptic to install smb4k.
apt-get didn't apt-get the right dependency files, and the install fell over half-way thru.
remember to refresh in synaptic before trying to install.
jcoleman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jcoleman »

Whoa - what a difference - SMB4K installed fine for me using synaptic. Nautilus in Elyssa had me going nuts also - seeing as I just loaded Debian "Lenny" on another machine and it worked seeing the shares on one of our servers. Thanks again folks. Note: Nautilus did work if I knew the name of the share but I couldn't see the shares when just looking at the server - Blank screen.
Been using Mint since version 3.? - have tried a bunch of others and still do - keep coming back to Mint. Old windows convert and work with a Windows Domain as a sysadmin daily.

Return to “Networking”