Network Browser (Samba) Problems

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
olivertreend

Network Browser (Samba) Problems

Post by olivertreend »

I've been having problems with browsing Samba shares on the local network.

Normally, I click on "Network" on the main menu. However, this usually doesn't open any window. A few minutes later, it comes back with an error: "Couldn't display "network:///". - Error: DBus error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
Please select another viewer and try again.
"

I don't know if this means anything to anyone, but it's confused me! :?

So, I removed and purged the Samba client with the following command in Terminal: "sudo apt-get remove --purge smbclient"
and then reinstalled it with "sudo apt-get install smbclient"

When I finally get the Network window open, it shows the workgroups, but it doesn't find any computers within any workgroup. It goes really slow trying to browse the network, and the file browser usually freezes.

Browsing Samba shares has always been a little dodgy, even when I had Daryna!

Is this just a bug in Linux Mint/Ubuntu? Does anybody know how to fix it?
Help would be greatly appreciated! :)

Many thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
miket

Re: Network Browser (Samba) Problems

Post by miket »

Hi !
olivertreend wrote:I've been having problems with browsing Samba shares on the local network.

Normally, I click on "Network" on the main menu. However, this usually doesn't open any window. A few minutes later, it comes back with an error: "Couldn't display "network:///". - Error: DBus error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
Please select another viewer and try again.
"
I don't know if this means anything to anyone, but it's confused me! :?
So, I removed and purged the Samba client with the following command in Terminal: "sudo apt-get remove --purge smbclient"
and then reinstalled it with "sudo apt-get install smbclient"
When I finally get the Network window open, it shows the workgroups, but it doesn't find any computers within any workgroup. It goes really slow trying to browse the network, and the file browser usually freezes.
Browsing Samba shares has always been a little dodgy, even when I had Daryna!
Is this just a bug in Linux Mint/Ubuntu? Does anybody know how to fix it?
Help would be greatly appreciated! :)
Many thanks.

This is a common problem with the network facility in Ubuntu/Mint due to it's lack of maturity :)

The best thing to do is install smb4k, it's works a treat and has resolved no end of issues for people :)

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install smb4k
Once installed you can start it from the main menu, normally it is installed under Accessories ... but this seems to vary :)

Let us know how you get on ...

Mike.
olivertreend

Post by olivertreend »

Aah, thanks Mike! Works like a charm! :D I can't believe I never found this before!
miket

Post by miket »

Hi Oliver !
olivertreend wrote:Aah, thanks Mike! Works like a charm! :D I can't believe I never found this before!
It's a good little tool ;)
We're not far from each other ... http://www.avanceit.co.uk :)

Have fun !

Mike.

Return to “Networking”