[Mint-13] AR8161 - Ralink 539b dilemma - SOLVED

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kristhor

[Mint-13] AR8161 - Ralink 539b dilemma - SOLVED

Post by kristhor »

Hi, Im using Mint 13 on a relavitely new HP computer using 3.2.0-58-generic. It uses a Qualcomm Atheros AR8161 ethernet controller (wired) and a Ralink 539b network controller (wireless). AR8161 needs the alx driver and 539b needs the rt2800pci driver. Neither are in the kernel out of the box. From trial and error I found I can get the alx driver for the wired connection from linux-backports-cw-3.4-precise-generic (3.2.0-58-generic) (which contraversely are wireless modules) but it doesnt have the wireless (rt2800pci) driver. For that I need a higher version backport 3.5-3.12 but in those I dont have the alx driver!! And I can only have one modules package installed. So it seems i am not able to have both wired and wireless drivers at the same time.
Am I missing something here??
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
computerbob

Re: [Mint-13] AR8161 - Ralink 539b dilemma

Post by computerbob »

Mint16 will give you kernel 3.11.0. Newer kernels have more drivers. All laptops can have wired and wireless at the same time. Even if your wireless device was broken, you can always buy a WiFi USB stick. Most of them don't do well with linux. Asus makes an N13 which I've no problem with.
kristhor

Re: [Mint-13] AR8161 - Ralink 539b dilemma

Post by kristhor »

Solved! I upgraded the kernel, using mint 15 kernel on the mint 13 distro by:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install linux-image-generic-lts-raring linux-headers-generic-lts-raring
that way im still using the lts with its support until 2017 with the "latest" hardware support.

Return to “Networking”