Ethernet detected but cannot connect. Works in windows

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
offonoff

Ethernet detected but cannot connect. Works in windows

Post by offonoff »

I have linux Mint 15, kernel version 3.8.

Installed a new D-link DGE-530T Gigabit Ethernet Adapter (rev C1). It is detected and shows up as eth1 (there is no eth0). lspci -k confirms it is using the r8169 driver. But there is no connection. Rebooting the computer into windows shows that the card and router and everything work. Rebooting into linux shows that it still doesn't work in linux.

I'm sorry that I can't copy and paste outputs, as that computer has this one, non-functioning, network adaptor.

"ifconfig -a" shows an eth1, lo, and lxcbr0. eth1 is the D-link. eth1 and lxcbr0 are both "Link encap: Ethernet". Perhaps lxcbr0 is the broken onboard ethernet connector? Is it confusing the system?

"sudo lshw -C network" only shows the D-link, and "sudo lshw | grep lxcbr0" is empty (as opposed to "sudo lshw | grep eth1")

I don't think the problem is the same old driver issue that comes up abundantly when googling "linux DGE-530T". Google says that the r8169 was fixed in Ubuntu raring (which is the base of mint 15) back in kernel 3.0.2. My card is detected and recognized, so I don't think have this person's problem: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2189534

However, the patch to r8169 was applied in raring back in June of 2013, and I'm not sure my mint install dvd is more recent than that. How do I tell what version of r8169 I have? How do I update it if I need to?

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Elliot
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
offonoff

Re: Ethernet detected but cannot connect. Works in windows

Post by offonoff »

Code: Select all

sudo ifconfig lxcbr0 down
Now ifconfig no longer lists lxcbr0. Situation unchanged. If I put lxcbr0 up and eth1 down, network manager says cable is unplugged.

I still think it isn't a driver thing because "sudo lshw -C networking" says I have the same driver and driver version as the person I linked to in my last post when they show the output of the same command after everything is fixed and working.
ronkz

Post by ronkz »

running Petra Mate here.

I'm trying to complete setup on a new box; Petra Mate seems to be running okay, but...

My Menu/Networking shows my local group (xxxx) but shows no computers (should be myself and 2 others)
It also shows "WORKGROUP" which must be coming from the Win9 box, but shows only my own computer.

The 3rd box is an XP box, which can see me, but doesn't show up here on Petra. It can see my Petra box but I can't see IT!

Sorry, I'm lost also, and have no help, so just throwing this into the mix, because the problems seem similar.

I'll add in Edit, am using a good DSL wireless router, my box and the XP box are connected by ethernet, the Win7 box by wireless. Networking has always been my weak-spot.
offonoff

Post by offonoff »

Not to be rude but your issue is not at all related. You don't even state if you are having the same symptom as me (can't connect to the internet). Please start a new thread for new issues.
ronkz

Post by ronkz »

Sorry, I did think they were related, my bad.

I did mention, tho, that my XP box in Windows can read my Mint Box but I can't see the XP box, which sounds like at least part of your problem.
quaid

Post by quaid »

Hello offonoff,

I am experience a similar problem. My symptoms are an ethernet connection for the onboard mobo NIC that is getting IP and Default Gateway, but not subnet, DNS, etc. Cannot ping anything on the internet. This is for my current install of Mint 16 64bit cinnamon.

However, when I boot off of a live USB, everything works. I am currently writing this from a live-instance of an older version of UbuntuStudio (based on 12.04, maybe?), with what might be an older r8169 driver. This tells me that something has occured on my Mint 16 install, whether an update or otherwise, that borked the ethernet.

You've tried something similar with Windows, but have you tried using a Linux live-USB on the affected computer? This might tell you whether it is a NIC-linux incompatibility, or just something borked with the current install.
mank_in

Post by mank_in »

to test network card driver working, you can try assign IP address to your network card manually:
I assumed your router have IP address : 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 ( default in many routers)
First , temporally disable network manager:

sudo service network-manager stop
After that , assign eth1 ip address :

sudo ifconfig eth1 192.168.1.2 netmask 255.255.255.0
Set gateway route:

sudo route add default gw 192.168.1.1 eth1

Try ping anything, example 8.8.8.8

ping 8.8.8.8 -c 4
If working , yours ethernet card driver is fine.

Return to “Networking”