Linksys Router Question

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
BakUp
Level 3
Level 3

Linksys Router Question

Post by BakUp »

I will try to explain this the best as I can because I am no expert when it comes to wireless and ethernet, routers and modems.

This router is actually a wireless router (WRT54G v4.0) but I am using it only as a ethernet hub. It always had worked just fine, no problems, but a storm came through the other night and knocked out my cable connection. When the cable people restored the connection, I no longer am able to use the Linksys hub. I connected one computer up directly to the cable modem, it worked fine. So I assumed my router got fried.

That was not the case though..... I took this router to my winter home and connected it there, which uses a DSL connection, and my Linksys router works perfect.

The router is ok, so why would it work at one location and not the other ???
I have spent a week of trying to figure this thing out, but I give up. Does anyone have any ideas what might be going on with this router ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
My Linux Distros:
sidux - Parsix - DreamLinux - Mint
chattr

Re: Linksys Router Question

Post by chattr »

BakUp wrote:I will try to explain this the best as I can because I am no expert when it comes to wireless and ethernet, routers and modems.

This router is actually a wireless router (WRT54G v4.0) but I am using it only as a ethernet hub. It always had worked just fine, no problems, but a storm came through the other night and knocked out my cable connection. When the cable people restored the connection, I no longer am able to use the Linksys hub. I connected one computer up directly to the cable modem, it worked fine. So I assumed my router got fried.

That was not the case though..... I took this router to my winter home and connected it there, which uses a DSL connection, and my Linksys router works perfect.

The router is ok, so why would it work at one location and not the other ???
I have spent a week of trying to figure this thing out, but I give up. Does anyone have any ideas what might be going on with this router ?
I 'm not sure I understand your set up. Is it that you're connecting two computers together to each other through the WRT54G? When you say you have the WRT54G set up as a hub, that's how I understand things.

If you're connecting two computers together through the WRT54G, is it a wired connection or wireless? (I'm going to assume it's wired.)

If it's wired, are the two computers on the same subnet? If you don't understand the question, reply to the question by posting the two computer's IP addresses.

If they're on the same subnet (and they have to be on the same subnet if the WRT54G is acting as a hub), have you tried using other ports on the WRT54G? Maybe one or more of the ports got fried.

Have you tried using other ethernet cables? When you plug an ethernet cable into the WRT54G's ports, does the indicator light on the WRT54G come on? Likewise, when the cable is connected to the computer's ethernet port, does that port's indicator light come on?
BakUp
Level 3
Level 3

Post by BakUp »

chattr wrote: When you say you have the WRT54G set up as a hub, that's how I understand things.
Yes........but right now I just have one computer on the hub, that one won't connect. I will add more later but that is not the issue as of now.
(I'm going to assume it's wired.
Yes
have you tried using other ports on the WRT54G? Maybe one or more of the ports got fried.
I have tried all four ports, in fact I have tried a brand now router and that will not connect either. I have replaced all cable with new ones.
When you plug an ethernet cable into the WRT54G's ports, does the indicator light on the WRT54G come on?
Yes
Likewise, when the cable is connected to the computer's ethernet port, does that port's indicator light come on?
yes

EDIT: just a reminder, this router worked perfect on a DSL connection from a different location.
chattr

Post by chattr »

BakUp wrote:
chattr wrote: When you say you have the WRT54G set up as a hub, that's how I understand things.
Yes........but right now I just have one computer on the hub, that one won't connect. I will add more later but that is not the issue as of now.
(I'm going to assume it's wired.
Yes
have you tried using other ports on the WRT54G? Maybe one or more of the ports got fried.
I have tried all four ports, in fact I have tried a brand now router and that will not connect either. I have replaced all cable with new ones.
When you plug an ethernet cable into the WRT54G's ports, does the indicator light on the WRT54G come on?
Yes
Likewise, when the cable is connected to the computer's ethernet port, does that port's indicator light come on?
yes

EDIT: just a reminder, this router worked perfect on a DSL connection from a different location.
From what you typed, it looks as if the hardware is working properly. So let's look at something else.

When you try the WRT54G at the storm-hit home, is the WRT54G on the same subnet as the cable modem?

What IP address range does the cable modem use to assign IP numbers? Is that range the same range as the WRT54G is using?

I'm wondering if the cable modem is using, say 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.254, and the WRT54G is set up to assign numbers from, say, the range 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.254, making two different subnets.
BakUp
Level 3
Level 3

Post by BakUp »

chattr wrote: When you try the WRT54G at the storm-hit home, is the WRT54G on the same subnet as the cable modem ?
I saved the WRT54G router settings before the storm hit, IP address: 192.168.1.1

But of course at that time, I do not know the modem IP address when the router worked.

The IP address of the cable modem currently is: 12.167.210.26

Is this what you are asking ?

Edit: IP address
Last edited by BakUp on Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
chattr

Post by chattr »

BakUp wrote:
chattr wrote: When you try the WRT54G at the storm-hit home, is the WRT54G on the same subnet as the cable modem ?
I saved the WRT54G router settings before the storm hit, IP address: 12.167.210.6

But of course at that time, I do not know the modem IP address when the router worked.

The IP address of the cable modem currently is: 12.167.210.26

Is this what you are asking ?
Not exactly. When you connect the WRT54G to a computer and go into the setup for the WRT54G, what IP address do you use to access the WRT54G? It looks as if the default in 192.168.1.1

You said originally that you're using the WRT54G as a hub. Did you change anything in the WRT54G's setup to have it operate that way?

I'm looking at the WRT54G's user guide available at linksys.com, and there are setup pages for the network which require you to put in the WRT54G's IP. When you go into the WRT54G's set up, what does the WRT54G show as the WRT54G's IP address? (Figure 5-10 in the user's guide) What does the set up page show as the Network Address Server Settings (Figure 5-11 in the user's guide)?
BakUp
Level 3
Level 3

Post by BakUp »

chattr wrote: Not exactly. When you connect the WRT54G to a computer and go into the setup for the WRT54G, what IP address do you use to access the WRT54G? It looks as if the default in 192.168.1.1
yes 192.168.1.1 is correct
You said originally that you're using the WRT54G as a hub. Did you change anything in the WRT54G's setup to have it operate that way ?
User Name: blank
Password: admin
Router name: WRT54G
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
DHCP Server: enabled
Default Gateway: 12.167.210.1
DNS 1: 209.55.5.10
DNS 2: 209.55.5.11
MTU: 1500
IP Address: 192.168.1.1
WEP Key: none
When you go into the WRT54G's set up, what does the WRT54G show as the WRT54G's IP address? (Figure 5-10 in the user's guide) What does the set up page show as the Network Address Server Settings (Figure 5-11 in the user's guide)?
I can not get into the set up now, that is my problem I can not get the router connected at this location so I can not set it up again after the storm hit.

This gets confusing doesn't it.........

I edited my IP address in above post.
Last edited by BakUp on Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chattr

Post by chattr »

BakUp wrote: [snip]

I can not get into the set up now, that is my problem I can not get the router connected at this location so I can not set it up again after the storm hit.

This get confusing doesn't it.........
When the WRT54G is connected via ethernet cable to your computer, can you ping it?

Open a terminal and type

Code: Select all

sudo ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.1.255  up
then

Code: Select all

ping 192.168.1.1
When you are at the non-storm-hit home, can you access the WRT54G's set up screens?
BakUp
Level 3
Level 3

Post by BakUp »

chattr wrote: When the WRT54G is connected via ethernet cable to your computer, can you ping it ?
No, I could not...
When you are at the non-storm-hit home, can you access the WRT54G's set up screens?
Yes I was able to access it.
chattr

Post by chattr »

BakUp wrote:
chattr wrote: When the WRT54G is connected via ethernet cable to your computer, can you ping it ?
No, I could not...
Yes I was able to access it.
Are you at the storm-hit home now or the other home?
BakUp
Level 3
Level 3

Post by BakUp »

chattr wrote: Are you at the storm-hit home now or the other home?
I'm at the storm hit home......this doesn't make sense does it ?
chattr

Post by chattr »

BakUp wrote:
chattr wrote: Are you at the storm-hit home now or the other home?
I'm at the storm hit home......this doesn't make sense does it ?
No, it really doesn't make sense at all. I'm assuming you've already reset the WRT54G by holding the reset button in for 30 seconds. If you haven't, try that and see if you get connectivity between the computer and the WRT54G.

If the computer at the storm-hit home has internet access when connected directly to the cable modem, that indictaes that the problem isn't on the computer end, hardware or software (as in networking set up on the computer).

If the WRT54G supplies IP addresses when used at the non-storm-hit home, that indicates that the hardware problem, if any, isn't with the WRT54G.

Which, as I see it, means that there's some set up setting in the WRT54G which prevents the WRT54G from acting as a hub when used in the storm-hit home.

Have you spoken with linksys.com tech support? That's about all I can think of.
BakUp
Level 3
Level 3

Post by BakUp »

chattr wrote:I'm assuming you've already reset the WRT54G by holding the reset button in for 30 seconds.
Yeah, I did do that
Have you spoken with linksys.com tech support? That's about all I can think of.

I could give that a try, I'll post back if I run onto something that works.

Like I said, I think I hassled with it for days before I posted here.

Thanks chattr for you effort !

Return to “Networking”