kde-nm-connection-editor won't 'manual' interface setup

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SaintDanBert
Level 4
Level 4

kde-nm-connection-editor won't 'manual' interface setup

Post by SaintDanBert »

NOTE: I have entered this posting under "Ethernet" because that is what I was trying to do.
However, the specific issues are not confined to either wire or wireless network configuration.

I'm running Linux Mint-16 KDE and trying to configure the wired network interface with a static ip address.
When I try 'manual' configuration, the OK button goes gray and does not enable regardless of my settings input.
kde-nm-connection-editor is v0.9.3.1 based on nm-connection-editor v0.9.8.0.

I can launch the connection-editor (kde-nm-connection-editor), create an 'automatic' interface for eth0.
This interface works just fine using DHCP supplied details.

I have tried to edit this working 'automatic' interface to include specific name servers.
... the OK button goes gray and does not enable regardless of my settings input.

I have tried to create a fresh new interface with a static IP address and specific name servers.
... the OK button goes gray and does not enable regardless of my settings input.

I have tried (1) removing all interfaces, (2) reboot, (3) create a fresh new interface, etc.

Thanks in advance,
~~~ 0;-Dan
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
BrianTee

Re: kde-nm-connection-editor won't 'manual' interface setup

Post by BrianTee »

I just did this hours ago.

Using the auto ip in my router setup, i got my mac address.

Set up my mac in the router as static and entered the ip, saved

Rebooted Mint

ran nm of wired connection 1 on taskbar applet

added on ipv4 manual, then added Address, Mask, and Gateway, checking ipv4 is required. clicked ok

But then remembered i forgot DNS went back in and added.

I realize this is basic, but just showing it worked for me. Linux Mint Petra KDE
SaintDanBert
Level 4
Level 4

Post by SaintDanBert »

BrianTee wrote:I just did this hours ago.
Using the auto ip in my router setup, i got my mac address.
Set up my mac in the router as static and entered the ip, saved
Rebooted Mint
ran nm of wired connection 1 on taskbar applet
added on ipv4 manual, then added Address, Mask, and Gateway, checking ipv4 is required. clicked ok
But then remembered i forgot DNS went back in and added.
I realize this is basic, but just showing it worked for me. Linux Mint Petra KDE
Let me rephrase your post to make sure that I understand.
  1. Using the MAC address of your workstation, you set your router/access-point to give the same IP address every time that workstation asks for a wired DHCP lease.
  2. Once you had an IP address, you modified the wire connection details to include all the details you listed.
This suggests that you altered an active connection, then dropped and re-connected to enjoy the parameter settings you made.

I could never get settings or details or whatever such that kde-nm... would present the OK-button as somthing other than grey.

Here is the dance that I tried:
  • use kde-nm... and remove all wired connections
  • power-off and restart the box
  • use kde-nm... to ADD a connection on 'eth0'
  • set the connection for 'manual' and fill address, mask, gateway; mark that IPv4 is required
  • name three name server addresses
At this point I have a grey aspect to the OK-button and cannot create the connection.

Stumped,
~~~ 0;-/ Dan
BrianTee

Post by BrianTee »

1, yes exactly. Told the router i want 192.168.1.137 for my desktop (its a htpc) by its MAC.

Rebooted the htpc, then modified it using nm. Manual, added the ip, mask and gateway. check the ipv4, DNS. Click ok

No idea why yours isn't working.
SaintDanBert
Level 4
Level 4

Post by SaintDanBert »

Can anyone offer information about what might be going on here?

I have a brand new workstation that I want to connect to a wired private network.
I want to use a static IP address on the private network.
I can connect and configure a connection using DHCP without a problem.

When I try to create a connection, manually specify the address, mask, gateway and name servers, network manager (kde-nm-connection-editor) does not behave as expected and let me make the settings that I want.

Frustrated,
~~~ 8d:-/ Dan
BrianTee

Post by BrianTee »

Ok, so i booted up a liveCD on a desktop that was previously configured in win7 with static ip.

Booted linux mint kde and connection not working. No surprise there as the router expects this MAC to be static.

Right click network, connections, wrench to get connection editor. Delete the connection. Add new one.

Edit properties. click on IPv4 *** is the ok button lit? Mine is.

Drop down to select Manual. Still ok lit? mine is.

Now add the address, mask and gateway and check the IPV4 is required for this connection. OK still lit? mine is.

Now if you do ANYTHING else the OK will go out on mine. Must be a bug.

Click ok.

Back in nm edit connection and add in your dns etc

I also had to reboot my router and then it worked.

Give it a try, i could make the ok dim out by doing anything past putting address in.
SaintDanBert
Level 4
Level 4

Post by SaintDanBert »

BrianTee wrote: ...
Now add the address, mask and gateway and check the IPV4 is required for this connection. OK still lit? mine is.
Now if you do ANYTHING else the OK will go out on mine. Must be a bug.
Click ok.
Back in nm edit connection and add in your dns etc

I also had to reboot my router and then it worked.
Give it a try, i could make the ok dim out by doing anything past putting address in.
Here is what I understand and will try:
  1. start system without any defined connections
  2. allow access-point to assign static IP based on system MAC address -- this creates a new connection at boot time
  3. edit this connection to name the static IP, mask, and gateway
  4. select OK to save and preserve the connection
  5. open the connection-editor to add name servers to an existing, saved connection
Thanks,
~~~ 0;-Dan
BrianTee

Post by BrianTee »

Did it work?

Return to “Networking”