How to Return Ethernet Control to /etc/network/interfaces?

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mattlach
Level 4
Level 4

How to Return Ethernet Control to /etc/network/interfaces?

Post by mattlach »

Hey all,

I am looking to do some nonstandard Ethernet bonding, which requires me to configure my Ethernet interfaces using the /etc/network/interfaces configuration file.

Unfortunately in Mint 16 most Ethernet configurations seem to have been moved from this config file to some other location, possibly even handled strictly by the GUI Networking configuration tool. All that is in my /etc/network/interfaces file is the configuration for the loopback device.

See below: (click for larger)

Can someone please let me know how I can return all Ethernet control to /etc/network/interfaces so I can configure it in the proper Linux fashion, through a text config file? These GUI tools are great for simple things, but as soon as stuff gets advanced, or if you want to manage a system from console, they fall on their face, hard.

Much obliged,
Matt
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Corsair 1000D, Threadripper 3960x, Asus ROG Zenith II, 64GB, Samsung 990 Pro, Geforce RTX 4090, 42" LG C3, 2x Dell U2412M, Schiit Bifrost Multibit DAC
Server: AMD EPYC 7543(32C/64T), SuperMicro H12SSL-NT, 512GB RAM, 192TB ZFS
mattlach
Level 4
Level 4

Re: How to Return Ethernet Control to /etc/network/interface

Post by mattlach »

Well, If anyone else is looking to solve this problem, I assumed (correctly) that this behavior was not a Mint innovation, but rather something that was inherited from Ubuntu.

I posted about it and got my answer over at the Ubuntu forums

Hope this helps someone else.
Corsair 1000D, Threadripper 3960x, Asus ROG Zenith II, 64GB, Samsung 990 Pro, Geforce RTX 4090, 42" LG C3, 2x Dell U2412M, Schiit Bifrost Multibit DAC
Server: AMD EPYC 7543(32C/64T), SuperMicro H12SSL-NT, 512GB RAM, 192TB ZFS

Return to “Networking”